Hi everyone,
I am appalled with myself at how long it's taken me to write this blog about my final day at AFWA. I flew out to Queensland for University Games only a few days after my last day, and since I got back last week, it's been a chaotic and stressful several days with trying to get everything in on time; thus this last blog has been neglected.
However, I remember it as though it was yesterday, because it was such an important day in my placement.
I arrived earlier than usual because it was the day of the final function of our campaign with the Freo Dockers. I prepared some gifts for each of the sponsors, as well as made sure all the DVD's and documents needed, were in the right place and ready to take to the Fremantle Football Club.
The marketing coordinator and myself ran over the event plan in the morning and also ticked off every task off our checklist to make sure we hadn't missed anything.
We got down to the clubrooms about an hour and a half before the guests were due to arrive. Holly and Kayte from Fremantle were there setting up, and we helped make sure everything was in order and that it was all going to plan. We did a run through of the video's we planned to show, to make sure the sound was working, as well as rehearsing with the MC so that he knew exactly what to say and in what order.
It was exciting to see an event in action, and everything ran surprisingly smoothly. I was worried some sponsors wouldn't show up, but we managed to get everyone there in the end which was great. Stephen Hill, one of the campaign's ambassadors spoke about his season and how he coped with asthma, and this was a huge hit with the guests.
I had more of a role leading up to the function, in the planning of the day, however throughout the duration of the evening, I was more focused on chatting to as many people as I could, and introducing myself to some clients and sponsors who I'd liaised with via email but had never met face to face. I felt like they appreciated the gesture, and my boss commented later that it was very professional of me, so that was nice.
The biggest surprise of all, came when my boss (the CEO) David Johnson, thanked everyone for their support. That wasn't the surprise, I knew he was giving the girls from Holly a small gift of appreciation for all their help. But then he said in front of everyone, "The biggest thankyou of all goes to Jess, our work experience girl, without whom all of this wouldn't have run as smoothly..." and something else that I can't remember. I was so embarassed but at the same time it was such a good feeling to be recognised and acknowledged for my work, when there have been many times over the course of my placement where I doubted the contribution I was making.
It was a great way to end the six months I had at the foundation, and I'm grateful for the massive learing experience i've had. It has given me confidence to go into the workforce, and it has also helped me discover the type of work I want to try get into once I graduate.
I hope everyone else has enjoyed their time as much as I did, and I wish you luck in finishing the final report (if you haven't already)
Cheers :)
1 comment:
Congratulations Jess. It sounds like you had an extremely successful placement while interning at the Asthma Foundation. It is such a great feeling to receive recognition for our supervisors, especially when we are exposed to a completely new role (I assume this was your first experience in the PR industry)? You obviously did a fantastic job so well done. All the best with your future PR career.
Post a Comment