Monday, April 30, 2012

Fruits of our labour


My time working in Tourism WA has yielded a host of opportunities and experiences. From writing feature articles and press releases to updating databases on past content that was picked up, my time here so far has indeed given me a clearer view on the work PR professionals do. The best part is that I am indeed enjoying every single minute of it!

Of course, the one thing every young PR intern looks forward to seeing their story picked up by the media and published. As mentioned above, the work that I do here includes updating the database and tracking the stories that have been picked up by the media. In the course of doing that, in the midst of doing this I have of course wondered when something that I have written will be picked up by the media and published. Well I am glad to say that the wait is finally over!

In my very first post on this blog, I mentioned that I did a media release for the V8 Supercars event that will be held in Perth and the value deals that were being offered by Virgin Airlines for the event. It brings me great joy then to see that the media release was picked up by the media in the Sun Herald, Sydney. To see the proverbial fruits of my labour truly is something that I can honestly say is worth every bit of effort that was put into it. Furthermore, it gives me the feeling that I have indeed contributed something tangible to the team. Although I do know that every member contributes to the team in a different way, the feeling of achievement and satisfaction that one receives when a piece of work is picked up is definitely a high point in this internship. To top it off, two feature stories that I was tasked to write were recently sent off to be published by Caravanning Australia.

Also, one of the major points that I have learnt in the past few weeks of my internship is the ability to adapt my writing style to suit the task that has been given to me. I found it difficult at first due to the fact that I tend to write the way I speak, however it is with the help and encouragement of my supervisor that I am able to adapt to the style of writing required at different times and to pick out the important points of an article while still adding that creative flair that catches the eye of the reader and the media.

It has been exciting and I do hope to learn a lot more in the remaining time that I do have here.

 Until my next post,

 Derrick.

No comments: