Monday, September 19, 2016

It’s not bragging if it’s true! – Harvey Specter

It’s not bragging if it’s true! – Harvey Specter

I must say I have been very lucky in my workspace. Omnicane as every Mauritian knows is a reputed and a leader in the modern sugarcane industry of Mauritius. At first, I thought of Omnicane as only a pioneer in sugarcane plantation and sugar exportation but I was highly mistaken as I got to work in the company. Omnicane has a 4.10 billion rupees group turnover and has different functions and features apart from sugarcane. Omnicane is a company that engages in the production of refined sugar, bioethanol, electricity and property development. It is the first proud owner of Holiday Inn, which is the first contemporary airport hotel in Mauritius, designed for business and relaxation and is at proximity of 5-minute from SSR International airport. Omnicane also holds 29% shareholdings in a food chain called Real Good Food plc. in England while selling and distributing its products across continental Europe. Real Good Food is a food business that has 3 main focus markets- cake decoration, food ingredients and a premium bakery. Omnicane provides sugarcane-refined sugar to Real Good Food, which uses it for its various products. Omnicane also operates in Kenya as the Kwale International Sugar Company Ltd (KISCOL). Omnicane is also creating its own smart city in Mon Tresor Mauritius as part of sustainable and vibrant city of Mauritius. Last but not the least, Omnicane also has a logistics and haulage section and has built its own carbon burn out unit in order to collect coal fly ash and bottom ash from its 3 power plants across the country.

As it is, Omnicane is a huge company with so many functions. Omnicane innovates and strives to remain the leader in the industry and therefore it does not let any leaf unturned. Omnicane has a inter-college project competition for high school students. The Omnicane foundation has started this competition in 1971 operating under different names at that time to finally becoming the Omnicane award.


Now imagine working as an intern in such a company is like a dream come true. When I narrate my experience, people find it so surreal that they don’t believe me. From my office to my work, I have had a life-changing experience. I still miss working there and I miss the people too. In my previous blogs, I mentioned not having friends the same age as mine but I would not deny that elder friends are also friends. The receptionist, the kitchen attendant, the drivers, the messengers, the office attendants, the IT people were so nice to me that I was surprised. They even suggested that I work full-time in the company. That was so touching for me as I didn’t expect such a heartfelt acceptance. When I talk about my internship experience, people don’t believe it as they think it is too surreal and unbelievable that I got such an opportunity. From mu office to my work- either people were jealous or they wanted to switch places with me! And the fact that I was not bragging or exaggerating any detail, it was what I experienced and nothing more. I am so grateful that Omnicane has been so warm and welcoming for me and I look forward to working there soon.

2 comments:

Sharone Morin said...

Deepa i really enjoyed reading your post.Very interesting was the way you,reflecton your experience at Omnicane. I've got to learn much on Omnicane and the way they effectuate their communication. Very well done Deepa.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Sharone, I am glad that you took the time and read my blog post :P
Looking forward to reading yours :)