Sunday, October 23, 2016

Different Tricks Up Your Sleeves

How time flies and I have 2 more days left in Event & Conference Co! As mentioned before I mainly work on 2 projects - De Lish Dessert, Coffee & Gourmet Food Expo (linked) and a corporate re-branding project. Most of my tasks involved designing visual materials and research, however, I also had the privilege to watch the directors as they brain stormed on new ideas, planned, and rolled out different tricks up their sleeves.

Tanesha's blog post (linked here!) struck a chord with me as its all too true! The forefront of PR, looks great especially when events are usually very glamorous. However, that is far from the truth. Sometime even labour intensive. I have spent hours and sometimes days researching and collecting data, for example. Most of my time is spent on the desk, typing and clicking away. 

until last week

We did something different and dropped off info cards for De Lish around the neighbourhood to get the word out (pictured below!) Totally something that I have not done or thought of, although to think of it, is actually something very simple. That was just one among the many strategies the directors had up their sleeves. It was a great reminder that creativity and persistence is important and can go a long way coming up with strategies and tactics




Therefore, my bring back for this week is really  about getting down to the grassroots and do what it takes to get to your goals, even if that means rolling up your sleeves and getting it done yourself.

So till then!

Quin

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the mention Quin!

Obviously i too, agree with everything you have said. I feel as though we both knew there would be a lot of behind the scenes, administrative work for events, but were both still shocked at the amount of data and research that needs to be completed in order to stay ahead of competition! I also agree that it was very eye-opening seeing our directors brainstorm ideas for their events.

Getting out of the office to hand out fliers felt SO GOOD. I would never have thought that sitting at a computer all day could actually feel so draining. Im sure you can also agree that it really did feel as though we were making a solid contribution to the success of the De-Lish event.

Really great to know that i was not the only one feeling the way i did during my placement!