Sunday, September 18, 2016

PR Internship? It’s okay everything is under control ...

HOPE! Finding an internship is not that easy! Indeed it was really challenging to find an internship in the Public Relations’ field and in the communication sector. Even if I had some experience as a trainee in the corporate sector, I would not imagine how difficult it would be to find an internship for this particular module.
                           
I had sent my CV and cover letter to 19 companies across Mauritius and was called for appointment by three companies only.  I started to lose hope as I could not find an internship that could meet the PR internship requirements. Some companies did not considered the ‘short’ schedule required for this internship while others did not reply to my mails and phone calls. I was into a stress knowing that the deadline to find the internship was approaching. Then I was finally accepted in the Digital Marketing and Communications’ department of Board of Investment (BOI), the national investment promotion agency of the Government of Mauritius.

Welcoming receptionist of BOI

Lets’ work, work, work … The first task which was allocated to me was to analyse the website and all their social media platforms to seek for improvements and specially as recommended by the manager, “to have an external point of view of how content is represented on these media platforms.” However, for the moment my duty consists of improving the content of their website and social media platforms (LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook) by writing short write-ups and snippets which concern some specific topics mostly related to the company’s field and some current news. Every research that I made, helped me to discover some specific fields especially finance, economy, foreign direct investment, environment and I am grateful for this because it helped me to have a wider knowledge of these specific sectors.                                                                                         

BOI Invest Lounge
My desk in the front 









I received positive feedback from my manager on the work I had submitted. He really appreciates my writing style and for the moment it is fine. I am able to manage and juggle between my assignments and the internship itself. I didn’t know that one day I would find myself working alongside while following university courses. But here it is, I am doing it and I may say I am proud of the seven days already completed. I am really dedicated to my allocated tasks.  

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Aurelie
Am glad that you finally got your internship. I really enjoyed reading your post as seeing the dedication and the effort that you are putting in your internship, is very motivating. I totally relate to the fact that, it's really a mess when one is applying for internships. It's a real "pain in the ass" situation when you see the fuss,race and the "bazar" of the work environment. Starting with updating your CV, writing or typing letters or motivational letters or interest letters, sending emails, applying, calling (basically harassing them) everyday, begging for a chance, negotiating working hours and days amongst others... OUF what a painful process! Yet very much worth it!
The opportunity that you get and the exposure that the company offers you is tremendous. It's a life-time experience not to be missed.
Anyways I would i love to hear from you soon... do check out my blog posts sometime :)
Thanks for the read
Deepa

Sharone Morin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sharone Morin said...

First of all, hats off girl! It seems that you've struggled a lot to find that internship.
I can surely confirm how difficult it is to find a PR internship as not every companies here got their PR department. And i agree with you, it's really annoying and somehow strange to see how some supposedly big companies did not even take the time to reply to emails or make a phone call to explain why they cannot accommodate you as an intern. I've had the same problem as i tried to contact more that 20 companies and only few of them reply me back.
Never-mind, you've finally got one and BOI is such a big and prestigious company i am sure you will gain a lot from them.
All the best,
Regards
Sharone