Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Blog 4: Reflection

Blog 4: Reflection

The overall experience of my San Diegan internship was the best of my life, I am so grateful for all the valuable things that I learnt and all the inspirational people that I met. Completing an internship is such an eye opening and inspiring experience and getting to do it in another country made it even more so. I think it pushed me out of my comfort zone and was such a great opportunity. I feel so grateful and lucky to be able to add such an exciting and interesting internship on my resume.

My supervisor Rana was such a great model to me and I was constantly being told how lucky I am to be learning from her, which was so awesome to hear.
I learnt so much about not only public relations but also about the procedures and environment of a hotel. Working in a hotel was such a unique atmosphere and it was so interesting to see all the different departments and how they worked and fitted together. The employees at the hotel are some of the nicest people I have ever met and I made friends with people from the bar staff, the spa, the front desk and more. 

Being on the other side of the world did have its challenges as I’d never lived alone before, but being so generously and warmly welcomed at the hotel by all the staff made it a lot easier.

One of the challenges that I faced was that as I was in a different country some of the practices were different to what I had learnt at home in Australia such as the terminology of things and even small things like grammatical and spelling errors were a challenge also. I didn’t really find this to be very much of an issue though.

Overall my internship was amazing and I am so proud of the work that I produced while I was there and am excited to be able to have a portfolio of real-life work now.



No comments: