Monday, April 28, 2008

Midway Through..

It has been a different experience for me as compared to many who've shared your experiences during your internship.

Being in a rather slow-paced organisation, the PR dept isn't as hectic as it's suppose to be. I am a Corporate Communications Officer in the Corporate Communications Dept of my company. In Singapore, the various estates are taken care by the Town Councils. I am working in one of the Town Council in Sg. The existence of a Town Council mainly is to
maintain the common areas outside the residential units, car parks, gardens, market and food centres, open spaces, shophouses and void decks. It also covers the supervision of cleaning and landscaping works around the estates.

The experience has been an eye-opener as I learn and realises the function of my company. Unimportant as it may seem to some, from the calls recieved daily, I've come to realise the daily importance of a Town Council. Trivial issues such as pees in the lift, killer litter spotted along the corridor, vandalism (such as paint splashes) and etc, will be highlighted to the hotline.

Thus far, I've handled enquiries from the public and liased with external contacts. Publications skills have be well put to use! I've done the monthly internal newsletter and currently coordinating the publishing of the quarterly newsletter. Media monitoring for related news is done daily too.

Learnt the nitty grittys from selecting of photos for publications, the news angle to focus on while writing an article and the captions that spells it all. It has been an enjoyable time as I can put my writing into practice!

1 comment:

Katharina Wolf said...

Many thanks for sharing your insight into working in a Singaporean Town Council. It’s funny – councils are pretty much the same wherever in the world you go: nothing works very fast, due to a lot of red tape, approval processes..and an endless amount of hoops you usually need to jump through to make anything happen.

However, having said that, we have had a number of students working in local government over the past years, and the majority had a brilliant time. The fact that your Town Council has a Corporate Communications Department is a good sign in itself – this indicates that they are valuing communication and are prepared to invest in this area.

It sounds like you are definitely busy and have had a chance to get involved with a wide range of projects.

Once again: Congratulations on you new job.