So, today I am going to share with you all the lunch and learn I attended at the consultancy! About 15 other consultants attended too! I think it was mainly for the newer employees that had started working for the company within the last couple of months or so.
The talk was given by a senior consultant that dealt with one of their clients (Landcorp) which has had some trouble with the development of land and property in the past and currently with some land owners and residents that are in these areas of development that clearly don't want the plans to go ahead. Everything that Valma talked about was stuff you would think to be the most logical way to handle the situation, however you could quiet easily approach the situation the wrong way, and only in hindsight would you see the better alternative! she covered topics such as different approaches to take with residents and people with interests in the development. One of many approaches she highlighted as a good one to take were community reference groups - where people help draw up the plans for developing areas, this gives them a sense that they helped develop the area that is to be built (regardless of whether they use it or not! It's the thought that counts I guess)
All in all, the things that were said not to do, you would definitely steer away from, as people get very passionate and sometimes very very angry with whats going on, and if your not careful, you will cop it pretty hard from them!
This, I think will be my last blog... At the end of my 20 days, it was a real eye opener as to what working in a consultancy is really like. It was fun, but I'm not entirely sure its the area I want to work within. Before I started I was sure that consultancy was for me, but now... not so sure. I think everything I learnt at uni is ALL important and I will definitely use it when I'm eventually out there in the real world!
1 comment:
Many thanks for your very honest post, Melika!
That's the beauty of PR393: it provides you with an insight into an area of PR you are interested in - and ultimately allows you to reassess your preferences. You are definitely not alone here: Professional Practice is an eye opener for many students!
Consultancy work is very fast paced, challenging and fun – but obviously it also has its down sides. At least you have gained a thorough, hand-on insight into the world of consultancy, - which will also look good on your CV.
Now, at the end of your degree and relevant work experience under your belt, it’s up to you to reflect on what you’ve enjoyed and where you want to go from here.
Post a Comment