Two more days to go and I will be completing my 20 days internship. Last few weeks my supervisor and I were busy drafting media releases, community service announcement scripts, radio commercial scripts as well as events’ advertisements. There will be two free public forums on this late May and early June. Organisation’s staffs are working hard preparing for the both events. I was told to generate media placement and make advertisement bookings on different radio stations and newspaper agencies. I was basically making phone calls to various media asking for advertising quotes, exact specs, payment details and others related information.
Being a not-for-profit organisation we often get ‘special promotion’ where some of them will give us special rates or even ‘buy one free one’ treatment. This means that if you purchase 30 radio commercial placements you will get another 30 for free. Being a not-for-profit organisation is good sometimes, we often get special treatments.
A thing that often makes me and my supervisor disappointed was the time-consuming advertising procedures that causes us to miss some of the placement opportunities. Sometimes I do think that email is not that efficient as phone them up directly. If you phone them they will really do the stuffs for you in just a few minutes. However, I did meet some one who was really efficient with the process and this helps us to save a lot of time.
By Winnie, Wednesday, May 21, 2008
2 comments:
You made a very important point, Winnie. Many students underestimate the power of the telephone. I know, it can be quite daunting to phone a complete stranger on behalf of a company you are not yet totally familiar with, however, communicating via phone tends to be much faster and far more efficient.
Emails are great for non-time sensitive information; however, if you really want to get someone’s support, you have much better chances when you simply give them a ring. Also, emails and text messages can easily get misinterpreted. Many of you would have discovered that during various unit group work assignments.
Don’t panic – Simply write down some dot points and practice what you want to say. You’ll be amazed about the results. Many thanks for raising this point, Winnie!
Yes I totally agree with that point. Whilst at Swan Districts Football Club I only had a few opportunities to speak to people on the phone and I must admit I did find it rather daunting at first as I was still unsure about many apsects of how the club ran.
I was speaking to people such as the club president and coaches on the phone and asking for information for the newsletter.
Depsite the daunting feeling of the initial phonecall, actually speaking to these people made life so much easier for me whilst carrying out the task of completeing the newsletter as I was able to get the information from them then and there and didn't have to worry bout getting any of their information confused via email which happens often!
Post a Comment