Monday, May 26, 2008

Deadlines and Deadlines!

This is my 12th day and what I can tell you is that applying PR in the workplace is completely different from the theories even if it helps me a lot. Some of the tasks that I have been assigned are to collect some media clippings, writing newsletters and to request quotation of polo shirts that will be used in a forthcoming campaign. The media clippings consisted of everything related to ICT. I had to write two newsletters with articles both in English and French but fortunately I had another intern helping me with the articles in French. Previously, the newsletters were done by TOTEM which is a PR agency. Writing the articles was quite an easy task but when it comes to transferring the article in the template, it was very tough. The template was an adobe illustrator format and I had to START learning how to use this software. I downloaded tutorials and required the help of a friend but finally I managed to post the newsletters on the company’s website. The company was also planning to launch an advertising campaign and I had to find quotations for 250 polo shirts. The major difficulty is to find a textile industry which was willing to accept such a low quantity order. In addition to that, there was a very limited budget available for the polo shirts. I was given two weeks to sort this out. After calling up to 20 industries, I managed to get 3 quotations and I had to collect the sample of a polo shirt after one week. This seems like an easy tasks but this job stressed me out. A good network helps a lot in these situations.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

During work experience I think sometimes we are expected to know a lot about things we are only just coming across for the first time.

I'm not the best with computers I admit it and several databases that I've had to put together during my prac had me lost. Like you Jean its hard when you have to admit that you don't know how to do something but it works out for the best.

Our bosses are mostly understanding to our weak points and our strong ones so we just need to show them the areas we can make up for the difficulties we come across.

It sounds like you did some pretty hard tasks during your prac, you should be really proud.