Monday, May 26, 2008

Glory at Gloucester Park

Hi everyone,

I wrote recently about how a connection with another 393er helped us both in our placements. Since the starlight day I have used photos of the players in a photo gallery I have created of the boys out and about. It is part of my recommendations that I have started to put into effect for the club; I suggested we need to increase the profile of our players. I finished my placement some time ago, but I am still working at the club, which has been fantastic, as I get to see my ideas being utilised and, more importantly the results.

On Friday night we held our Perth Glory at Gloucester Park night that I have been involved in organising. The night went fantastically, we had a great turnout and response from attendees. Before the presentation of the Glory trophy after the main race I went to find our CEO to organise for him and some of the players to come down track side, when I entered the room they were wining and dining in I ran into Sian, who many people might remember from classes and the seminars, she was also a 393er! After Sian finished her placement she became marketing coordinator at Gloucester Park. It was great to catch up and find out what each other had been up to, but more importantly I found out it was Sian who had made such an effort for the night and I could thank her personally. I thanked her for all the Glory merchandise and the colour theme she had placed around the event and I was so impressed and proud to see a fellow Curtin student doing so well, and she was running the show like a real pro! Sian and I even presented the losing ticket draw at the end of the night. I didn't know I would have to get up and talk so Sian quickly prepped me and introduced me... it went well, until someone turned the microphone off while I was talking! haha It was so scary to get up, so thanks Sian for your help!

Again is what great to see how two companies that seem to not be related can come together in a mutually beneficial relationship to produce such a great night. Sians boss even mentioned to me when we were leaving, "Can you bring those soccer fans again, we've never had such enthusiastic spectators!"

1 comment:

Katharina Wolf said...

How exciting to hear that you've managed to catch up with Sian.

Many PR393 students would remember Sian from our start of semester orientation session. Fantastic work, Caitlin - and a very interesting insight into the how 'small' Perth's PR/communications industry is.
Keep in mind that the people you are studying with will be very valuable contacts in the near future.