Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Its Jumped up a Notch....

Its been awhile since I made my last post. But this is purely as things have been so busy!

I am now three quarters of the way through my placement, not long to go until I finish!

Things at Corporate Sports have really stepped up. I start work at 7.30am in the city and work through until 4.30pm (allowing for lunch of course :-) !)

Right now, we are planning the media launch for the City to Surf. I have been creating media plans; writing media releases; working on media distribution lists; preparing the media kit; and of course, helping to organise the media launch.

Planning an event such as the City to Surf is such a big responsibility. Not only are there the logistics to consider, but trying to co-ordinate all the different stakeholders, within a certain time frame, is a mind-numbing experience!

My supervisor has been very flat out, and she flew to Melbourne this week to film one of the TV advertisements for the City to Surf. This has meant she has left me with a BIG list of things to do. It is kind of daunting to realise that I have such a big responsibility. It is also very refreshing that she trusts me to do this work.

I am also glad that I am able to help out with the media side of things. My supervisor has not had much experience with this. I have been going through all my old PR Media assignments, looking for templates on writing a media release. It is good to know that finally, all the theory and techniques that I have been taught is paying off. It is a great sense of accomplishment when it all comes together.

I look forward to the day when the event finally comes. It will be such a relief when everything comes together to create a successful City to Surf event for 2008. I am hoping to continue helping out with Corporate Sports after my placement is finished.

All I know, is that every day is different. I am always working on a few different things at once. I have come to realise this is what is very exciting about PR- the field is very diverse and the skills are transferable to any industry. Right now, I am focusing on sport. However, in the future, with my skills in PR, I could end up anywhere!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your placement sounds really exciting! I would love to have the opportunity to work on such a large scale event as the City to Surf! Congratulations on getting such a great placement :)

It sounds like your supervisor places alot of trust in you which must be very staisfying. What tasks specifically have you been working on? Have any of your media items been released at this stage? I wrote my first media release recently but as it is for a small scale government event I am not sure if it will gain coverage until after the event.

Good luck!

Lani said...

your placement sounds great, congratulations on the opportunity to have so much responsibility in organising the event. I'm entering the city to surf this year and have been waiting for more details to come out (now i know why :) ) look for ward to seeing what you've done, will be keeping an eye out. hope everything keeps going well

Indi said...

That sounds really fantatsic! congratulations for being trusted enough to undertake all those tasks! I also am hoping to enter this year so will keep in mind the logistics behind the whole thing when im running!! It sounds like you will be completely indispensible to these people! do you want a job with them when you finish?!

Madison said...

Thanks everyone for your comments!

It is very satisfying to know that my supervisor trusts me to do all these tasks.

Now the City to Surf is offical launched! So I want everyone to jump online and register at www.citytosurf.activ.asn.au!

When I finish my placement, I will be going back to continue to help out the team. I have really enjoyed my time there :-)

Thanks everyone for reading :-)