Tuesday, May 6, 2008

My insight for doing PR 393 - Governments encouraging more local PR practisioners to work locally and MORE!!!

I would like to share an interesting story relating to quote "Singapore government doesn’t allow company use foreign students" in the recent post "My First Job in My Life" by Karen Zhang.

It is interesting to see how governments of different countries are now making the moves to encourage more of their own locals to work locally rather than employ foreigners. Probably the main reason behind this move is the economic crises that some countries face. I suppose these days the currency exchanges of some countries are not going well. And, furthermore those exchanges just end up flowing to other countries. Thus, those countries ended up suffering. Furthermore, they faced high unemployment rates and the most serious of all, high inflation rates. Not only PR industries of the world face this but to also to all jobs of different industries as well.

We, local and international students that are doing PR 393 in Curtin and are struggling to look for placements may use this opportunity to secure a placement locally. This adds up to our advantage. Actually, we are the ones contributing to the growths of local PR industries of their home countries. The reason is that we are given the opportunities to incorporate our PR skills where we learned from our previous work experiences that have skills required to do PR. Also, we also had learned them from the PR work experience stories of our seniors and professional PR practitioners of the real PR workforces.

At the end of the day, we are doing our home countries proud. I refer this as a more “patriotic PR”. After all, some of us had the passion for our home countries by doing PR placements in our home countries.

Please comment to let me know what you think about this post.

5 comments:

serenity` said...

As a Singaporean, I've faced the situation of not being able to intern in some organisations in my home country itself.

I had approached several companies in Sg that could not accept me, reason being that I am a Curtin student. Ie: not an undergrad from S'pore Uni, not a local student perhaps. Absurd as it may sound, it's true.

Prefering not to widen my speculation, I'd disclaim it as the nature of the companies that I've approach. One was Singapore Tourism Board, the other Sg airport. Objectively, if i were a management of these companies, I'd choose to think that I have valid rationale not to take in foreign students.

Having said that, it still leaves me in wonder, that they do not take in students from an overseas uni althought he/she is local.

Perhaps, it all has to do with its Public Image - companies that bears the image of the home country. This might bring us back to the root of Public Relations rational too.

Image probably.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, Serene, that was somewhat interesting and something unexpected in Singapore you reckon.

I agree with you about the approach with local companies thing. Yup, I faced the same situation as you. For me it was about learning to approach companies with providing the ultimately "perfect correct CV" they wanted to see or hear and, learning what to say what they want to hear during any job interview back in my hometown.

Yeah, what you said about public image is very true.

Here is an example. For Malaysian tourism and hospitality industries, their work regulations was changed to be more 'local'. Because, the Malaysian state governments are desperate to maintain a more Malaysian image through encouraging local Malaysians to intern locally. It is like Malaysia being "more desperate Malaysia" than the "usual Malaysia" everybody currently knew.

Perhaps now we are facing international PR crisis in South-east Asia. This time the crisis is about the unequal acceptance of students to intern in their home countries just because they owned qualifications of international university degrees. In this case, it happened commonly in Singapore and Malaysia. I do not know about other South-east Asian countries. Everyone please add if they know anything about this.

Helping to add means helping our fellow PR 393 friends to grow more with their PR experiences.

Katharina Wolf said...

Personally, I am absolutely amazed that you are facing these kind of problems in Singapore, Serene. Yes, you will receive a Curtin degree at the end of your studies; however, you are also an MIS student – i.e. local.

I am aware that Singaporean companies have an issue with the lengths of the placements. They prefer to have interns for a minimum period of 3 months – which I personally fully support, but obviously the idea wouldn’t be too popular with students. However, just as a reminder for everyone: 20 days is the absolute MINIMUM requirement for your placement! You are welcome – indeed encouraged – to spend a longer period of time with your placement organisation.

Longer and additional placements will truly set you apart when you start looking for a job. Onshore, we have just been visited by two guest speakers, a recent graduate and a consultancy owner, who confirmed this. Employer are looking for graduates who can demonstrate they are enthusiastic, keen – and have done more than the bare essential required as part of their degree.

However, coming back to your post, Serene, I am amazed as you are Singaporean. This probably highlights even further the need to do your research, know the organisation you are targeting and to make your first contact via phone, investigating who to send your CV to. With more and more universities and PR degrees out there it is increasingly important for you to demonstrate how enthusiastic and motivated you are. Don’t be disheartened if things don’t work out the way you expected them to – life sometimes works in mysterious ways. Believe me, in the end it will all work out.

serenity` said...

thanks Katherina, things indeed worked out well for me with regards to my placement! :)

It was a learning experience as well - the exposure I got from having went through several interviews at different companies/consultancies.

Anonymous said...

I am thinking that if I am a local company HR person, I will also consider whether to use foreign students. Because there are some process to do with local manpower and immigration side before the company decide to use a foreigner. If the two applicants have the same skill and on the same level, one is a local and another is a foreigner. I will also prefer using the local. But there are still some company are willing to use foreigners and willing to give us a chance. The only thing I need is time. More time to find more opportunities.

I feel very lucky my boss was willing to offer this internship for me as I am an international student. And my boss also understands I need time to find a permanent job in Singapore. So I can stay in Singapore instead of going back to China.

This is a commercial world, people will use you only you have your own value.