I have had to redo my online blog so this was written a week ago...
Well it’s now been over two months since I started my placement and only have one more day left (where I provide morning tea for everyone as a thankyou!) This past week has been great as both my supervisor and boss have been away in Busselton organising an event for one of our associations, so it hasn’t been so busy. It was a technical symposium for the Mineral Drillers Association and my job before they left was to try and gain media coverage for it. After my media release was rejected (after a lot of hard work in gaining quotes) I was to send out the revised one my boss did to local newspapers. Instead of doing a non-personal fax, I rang the two major newspapers in Busselton and spoke to the appropriate journalists. They seemed pretty keen on coming to the event after I explained what it involved and that one of our guest speakers was a Bali bombing survivor. I emailed them directly the media release and extra info on the event. However what I failed to mention was that they had to go to the registration desk on the day of the event to see my boss to get a media pass. I then had to email them again and apologise.
Hopefully after all the work and effort everyone put into the 2 day symposium we get some response, but we’ll have to wait and see! (Busselton’s paper comes out today!) I also have to mention that I was actually invited to attend the event and stay in a fully paid for hotel in Busselton and take photos (as I do photography) and write a feature story on it. Unfortunately due to uni commitments, and a HEAP of assignments due, I had to turn it down. But I have decided to look for more PR work over the semester break to gain more experience.
1 comment:
Well done, Kylie for planning a thank you morning tea – gestures like this will do wonders for your PR career!
You did exactly the right thing in regards to your revised media release. Just imagine how many media releases most media outlets receive every day – hundreds! If not thousands! A well targeted and rehearsed phone call cuts through all the clutter – just put yourself in the position of the journalist. Good luck for the symposium – I’ll keep my fingers crossed for some fantastic media coverage.
Congratulations on your decision to look for more PR work experience. Maybe someone on the blog can give you some advice or make a recommendation? Additional experience will definitely make your CV stand out when you start applying for graduate positions :-).
Post a Comment