Hi PR393 Bloggers!
I am a 3rd year first semester student in tourism management and public relation and I have been enrolled in this RP393 unit, which we are supposed to complete during the last semester. The Mauritian students this semester have been confronted to a major issue. While all the previous batches of PR393 were automatically provided a placement in an organization, we had to find our placement by ourselves and the problem here is that we have been aware of this during the first meeting with the lecturer. So I had to contact several organizations quickly to make sure that I am able to find a placement, which fortunately I have been able to get after 10 days. This placement was going to be my first experience and I had to admit that I was quite nervous and anxious. Well I have finally started my placement and I’m working 3 days a week at Nomad. My first day, my boss was very kind to me and provided me an insight of the company and tried to make me feel comfortable. Now that I feel more confident, I was ready to cope with the challenges and discover the world of Public relation.
3 comments:
Thank you for providing some additional insight into public relations in Mauritius, Zan. I agree, being thrown into the deep end, asked to find your own placement, must have come as a big shock to most of you. However, looking back, you probably agree that securing your own placement was not only a huge challenge – but also very rewarding. As Ben pointed out in his post below: PR393 is basically a ‘trial run’ for life after university. You have now overcome the first big hurdle. Applying for jobs will now be a far less daunting task.
PR393 students have traditionally been in charge of finding their own placement – and although many are very worried and anxious in the beginning, it is absolutely fascinating to watch the transformation from nervous and apprehensive final year student to confident graduate.
Hi Zan,
I must agree with you that finding a place is not easy at all. I was supposed to do my internship the last semester as well. However due to rejection from my current company in the corporate communication department. I had to find a placement myself which I decided to delay to this semester.
Fortunately, I found a placement from a friend, previously from the same degree course as well. Things went on extremely well and I did not regret postpone of my internship. Good things are good to wait for it. Seize the opporunity.
Good luck for your internship.
Have a great time.
Cheers
Alex
Hi Zan,
I understand the difficulties you went through of not securing a work placement. It can be scary sometimes especially making the phone call or email inquiries of applying for work placements.
Before this, I tried several organisations in WA to contact via emails or phone calls and unfortunately they did not work out as expected. I tried out a Bible College and it did not turn out because the pastor could not find a replacement marketing officer for the promotions of the college or to supervise me.
The other one is because I send the wrong CV and wrong cover letter. That taught me the importance of getting a friend to proof read CV and cover letter before sending out for applying for work placements.
The rest are because the positions had been occupied by other students or existing employees.
Fortunately, I finally could get one back home. I owe everything to my father and my cousin. Without them both, I could not have secured a placement at the first place.
Without Katharina's advise, I would have gotten lost completely in the wrong direction of securing work placements. I express my biggest thanks to her.
I'm joyful to hear that you gotten yourself a placement. Don't worry, everything will turn out fine. For me I managed to overcome my first week of my work placement because of the encouragement of my work supervisor's boss, the Director of Communications and some fellow staff. Sometimes it can be real nervous and daunting being around them, as time goes by, everything will finally settle down.
Post a Comment