Monday, May 26, 2008

Writing the Report

Hey guys,

Well considering the report is due in 4 days, everyone is either losing sleep getting it finished in time or, those who are a little more proactive and organised are just going over it for the final touches. I got back from Melbourne in April but am only just finishing up the report now. I guess id write about writing my report, what I struggled with.

To be honest I enjoyed writing about the industry a little more than the organisation itself. Working in a marketing and technology solutions firm, there was a lot of new technology, interactive campaigns and illustrators, graphic designers, developers etc. to learn from. And some of the most interesting topics were how PR was becoming more digital.

It was the recommendations and my own role at the organisation that I struggled to write about. I guess also not being able to write in third person report style for these sections felt awkward, and Im still having doubts over the whole structure.

How did you guys feel about this? Either way good luck this week, hope everyone manages to wrap their head around it all.

Ben.

2 comments:

Katharina Wolf said...

Ahhh, a very valid point, Ben. I am sure this post won’t struggle to attract a number of comments. However, I thought I quickly jump in with a brief response:

Yes, you should stick to a professional report format, i.e most of your report should be written in the first person, which sufficient objectivity (keep in mind, you want to impress not only your Unit Controller but most importantly your current placement organisation and potential employers).

However, there is one exception: You are more than welcome to write your ‘reflection section’ in the first person. It would simply sound silly if you had to state things like “one organised a trade exhibition” or “The intern researched and wrote a media release”… - this would truly defeat the purpose of this section. Still aim to write in a professional way, however, you are very welcome to reflect on insights gained and any difficulties or challenges you may have encountered.

Tatiana said...

Dear Ben,

I have finished writing my Report, and it is a very good feeling when you know you are done:) As Katharina said, you can still write in the first person, because it's about you and your experience. The hardest part of the Report would probably be coming up with suggestions for improvements for your organisation.
In case their PR is set up well, it is hard to find faults. In case it's not - you have to be careful in your choice of language..:) Also what makes it hard to make suggestions, is the fact that you are not a full time employee and may not be aware of all the problems/issues the organisation has at the moment. My Report was looked at by my supervisor, and also the General Manager is having a look at it at the moment. I am meeting with GM on Thursday this week to discuss it.
It's good to get some feedback and recognition for your work ( good or bad you will learn from it:). Good luck with your Report!