Time is a pretty amazing thing, in terms of building confidence. It's one of the things that Prac teaches you- apart from all the theory we have learned, this practical unit highlights that you learn by doing.
When I first started my placement, I admit I was a little scared to pick up the phone and approach people. I felt like a nuisance and I was constantly finding ways to avoid making calls. However, I've learned that confidence can make the scariest things bearable. I'm not so scared anymore- I think excitement has got the better of me.
So far, I have had meetings and met all sorts of people. It's amazing how small Perth is, because everyone knows someone that you know that knows someone that they know. And it's so nice to know there are people out there willing to help you, put a good word in here, track down contact details, encourage other sources to get on board.
I am currently organising entertainment for 'Tokyo in the Sky'. I have a few phone calls to make and I am not dreading them- I know my stuff and I have become more confident. I get to share my excitement with others, and use my People skills to get more people on board.
I've learned not to be so hard on myself and to relax. At first it was such a big deal- Everything was so real and I was scared if I made a mistake I would ruin everything. But my manager made me realise that people are constantly learining. She is still learning from past events, and things she would have like to do differently. It is comforting to know that uncertainty is not such a bad- It is a significant factor in the events industry that's associated with continual learning.
I have to get started on the media room that will be on the new website. A pretty important section as far as PR is concerned. It's also time to track down massage therapists and Japanese drummers.
Lately I have:
-written a letter to sponsors explaining the event, how sponsors can gain from getting on board. -drawn up a budget on the event,
- Introduced myself to sponsors via email
- Created a database of contact details for Social Club Co-ordinaters
-Media Distribution list
-Website development
All of the above have helped in developing more confidence, which is something a textbook can't teach us- It is one of those things you have to get out there and do!
Hopefully next time I chat, I would have made more progress.
Angie.
1 comment:
Hi Angie
I have to agree that the internship builds confidence.I'm studying journalism too so I really enjoyed working on the the Perth Fashion Festival. I made up media kits/ goodie bags and hand delivered them to TV/Radio and print journalists. I also followed up with phone calls to see if some journalists were attending the VIP ticketed events and some of the names on the list I was quite familiar with just from reading the paper and magazines so speaking to them directly was quite nerv racking.
Also it was a bit difficult as my consultancy only handled the PR for PFF we weren't the event organisers. So I quickly realised the best approach for these phone calls was to have all the information on hand so should the journalists or media have any questions I can answer them, or have the correct contact details of the event organisers to give them.
Post a Comment