Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The curtain falls...

So here we are folks...the end of my internship. This has been a very invaluable experience for me and I've learned quite a lot over the past two and half months.

For over two years I worked in marketing and student welfare, and even though I got to attend meetings, schedule orientations, meet dignitaries, I was never able to really put my advertising diploma to good use, but my internship has enabled me to do so. Fashion shows, photo shoots, web design, recordings for voice overs, convocation ceremonies, lifestyle magazines,etc., I've worked on them and have increased my exposure and talents. Those group assignments that we all balk at when we receive them in class, well in the industry you really get to realize their importance as team work is imperative. That saying "no man is an island" couldn't be more true than in the industry. It may not always be easy and you may work with difficult people who want to take all the credit, but you have to maintain your composure and always give it your all no matter what. Even when your boss is not around, you need to realize that they've always got two or three other pairs of eyes there keeping an eye on things. So when someone tries to steal your moment, or you behave in an unprofessional manner, they will know. They just may not say it, but that does not mean they don't know what is going on. Some assignments may be so lacklustre that you may want to trade with someone else, but there's always a reason to why you were given that particular assignment. At times your superiors may want to test your tenacity and your willingness to try other stuff, and dealing with it with a positive attitude may take you a long way.

My internship has given me yet another twist in life and I've been offered a permanent job in the creative industry once again. Who would've thought. I may be given some tasks that I may not want to do at times, but I've figured out that it's how you deal with it and what you learn from that experience that will take you further in life. I balked at having to do some journalistic work at times, but even that has availed me with great opportunities and I got to meet some fantastic people like Joe Hasham. I may still procrastinate if I don't like the project, but I still make it a point that I complete it.

To those of you who are still doing your internship or have just started, good luck to all of you! Give it your all and be very enthusiastic. Ask questions if you don't understand something, ask for work if you don't have any, go to your superiors and ask them if there's anything you can do or help them out with. Talk to them, because your silence won't get you anywhere and it certainly won't make you seem proactive and willing to learn. They may look annoyed at times from all your quizzing and asking for more work, but they'll appreciate your effort and recognize your willingness to learn and to go the extra mile.

Well, I haven't spilt any secrets and still look forward to reading your comments...(",)

Good day and good luck.

Bo!

No comments: