Monday, September 8, 2008

My first experience on organising an annual ball


I have been working in Chinese Chamber of Commerce for organising the annual ball with the committee members almost a month. Without doubt, it is a fantastic place to learn and gain experience. I met many business people and encountered difficulties that I did not expect.

Let me first introduce this annual ball briefly. It is on 25th of October and will be a Masquerade which combines the culture of Chinese and Western. There will be a mixture of Western and Chinese performances. People can choose among four different kinds of table or ticket. Platinum, Gold and Ordinary tables are mainly for organisation, whereas individual tickets are for people who want to sit with someone they do not meet before for networking purpose. The committee expects to have at least 80 tables at Burswood and therefore, we are working very hard to promote and sell the tickets to different organisations and public now.

Indeed, there are only one and a half month left before the event day, every committee members are very keen to prepare everything that is related to the ball. On every Friday night, we have group meeting and the committee members come together to discuss the process of their works. At this stage, the committee members normally discuss the entertainments, banquet and charity events on the ball day during the meeting. To be honest, since I have no experience in holding a ball event, especially this is a major event; I was just sitting there and listen to what they discussed for the whole meeting. I felt innocent at first because I have no idea on what have been done. However, after few meetings, I realised the importance of take initiative and involvement. Therefore, I started dropping notes and paid full attention during the meeting. I start getting there and, what is more, I have more topics to chat with my supervisor after meetings and during work.

I am working with my supervisor and now, our main responsibility is to send all invitation letters to members, VIP and media. In addition, we have to do some follow up work. For instance, we need to call the members to check whether they received the invitation letters or not and ask them politely whether they are interested in buying the tickets. This repetitive work, though is very boring, can build up my confident to speak up and I really feel satisfactory if people decided to buy the ball tickets after our conversation.

On last meeting, there was a little argument between some committee members due to the table track sheet. I was sitting there and frankly, I was so scared. I did not know what should do and even so worried that the event will be postponed or cancelled. I believe that this ball will be amazing and remarkable if everything run under the plan well. Thus, I am sincerely looking forward to the ball day.

In addition, on the coming Friday, we will go to the ball venue i.e. Burswood Entertainment Complex, for inspection. On that day, we are expected to plan how the 80 tables will be placed. After that, we will be offered a dinner by Burswood.J I really hope everything will run smoothly!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, zambi:

Congratulations on having some of your work published, it’s a real testament to your writing skills that your placement workplace published your work. It sounds like you have had a great Public Relations experience. Therefore, I would advice you to take the most of your internship even if you've reached the end of it, do your best to build up contacts.
I wish you the very best for your report.

Han Xiao