Saturday, October 18, 2008

3rd Monster Week

Finish line in sight.

I have nearly all but completed my 'required' hours with Monster Management, although I am staying on with Jeff and the team right through till the New Year. I think it is important to see out what I started, and if I stopped working before we bump out of Mandurah and Rollercoaster is officially over for 2008, I think I would be walking away half done.

The last week has seen me buried in Jeff’s contact lists. It comprises of over 2000 email contacts, all of which have zero formatting, organisation or any sort of structure what so ever! It has been a long tough job, and finally I have built up a fairly impressive contact list for Monster Management (if I do say so myself). I have been very conscious of Jeff’s computer capabilities and have not designed a database with too much flash, just a simple easy to use and change contact list, should make life so much easier when sending out bulk media releases.

I hadn't barely finished the database when I was set a new task, one not as daunting though. I needed to build a media contact list for the South-West region of WA, memory flashed back to PR Media 250! A quick check through previous assignments and YES, thank you 250 & Margaret Gee! The advantage of saving assignments and access to the university online journals has just paid its dividends!

The Rollercoaster lineup has been announced since my last post, ticket sales are up and running also. The announcement of the Big Day Out 2009 Lineup caused a little stir in the office as Living End is headlining both, as are several of the support acts (listed on both festivals) At time of booking all bands Monster Management and the artists were unaware of the Big Day Out lineup, it is the largest music festival in Australia and the one all bands want to play. It is a little unfortunate that the bands are playing both festivals, but just goes to show that back earlier in the year when Monster was looking at the proposed lineup and trying to pick what would be hot at the end of the year they got it spot on if the largest music festival in Australia picks the same bands.

I am looking forward to December, when Monster announces the second headlining act for Rollercoaster. Due to contracting restrictions the final lineup has had to be confidential until December 01. The announcement should create a great buzz as the act is very popular at the moment, am looking forward to taking more of a role with the next media release announcements.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done for staying on Jon. It sounds as though your prac has been really interesting.

I just want to agree with you on how beneficial Margaret Gee has been for me too. I’m going to miss access to all the great databases that we have on hand through Curtin.

Enjoy the rest of your time at Monster and hope Rollercoaster goes well.

Megan

Anonymous said...

I can’t believe that you are helping organise Rollercoaster. I must say I am so jealous – I can’t go unfortunately as I am going to be in Europe for Christmas, but you should go and enjoy a festival that you have helped to plan and put into action.
I understand what you mean by not having I formatted and also legible data base, I had to do a very similar job, and it took me SO long to do. But rather rewarding to say the least when it is finally finished 
I hope that Rollercoaster goes well and that you enjoy the day. Congrats that you also got asked to stay on!

brAndOn said...

Hey Jon,

I totally agree! Thank goodness for Margaret Gee! And also all our other PR subjects. Now that we enter the working world, it kind of shows you what you were learning all this time is actually going to be used in practice soon enough! So better brush up on all those stuff that we've been lazy to do over the years! Margaret Gee has helped me out during my placement countless times aswell! DiabetesWA doesnt have list of media contacts, so when i was asked to send out media releases, they expected me to already have contacts! and that when Margaret Gee played a huge role! Its also great that you're staying on to see off your projects!

Goodluck with the final report, exams and the rest of the year working there.

Brandon