Sunday, October 5, 2008

Adios!

Tomorrow is my last day at iiNet! This post will focus on what I've learnt and the PR393 program itself.

First of all I believe that PR 393 is the most useful unit I have undertaken at Curtin University. As I am in my last semester of University, it helps greatly that I have some real world experience to add to my resume`. It is also great to be able to put in to practice all of the theory that I have absorbed over the past 3 years and put it to good use. I think that practical units like this can complement the theory units to provide an invaluable learning experience.

Secondly working at iiNet has taught me a lot! Something that is of great importance to get a handle on, which perhaps could be a unit itself, is office politics. The ability to converse with colleagues and the boss is very important in creating a positive working atmosphere, and can help progress your career. Furthermore, it just makes going into work a lot easier when tensions are low!

I also learnt how a large organisation functions and the inter-departmental communication that is required to get tasks completed effectively and efficiently. Communication is important as a single campaign launch can easily 5 - 6 different departments.

The value of Public Relations within a company also became apparent. To be honest, iiNet does not have a strong PR department and they tend to be more reactive than proactive. However, the staff do see its importance and their do appear to be plans to have a stronger PR focus.

My writing skills improved immensely and I gained experience in how to write in a particular tone. iiNet has an image of being quirky so written communication to their customers is done in a less formal or business sense.

All in all I had a great time at iiNet. The people that I worked with were very accommodating and easy to get along with. I am very grateful to get some "real" experience under my belt and am now ready to head out into big wide world!

Good luck guys!

1 comment:

CY said...

Hello Justin!

Im glad that you had so much fun and gained so much experience in your intership at iiNet!
I have to agree with you in many aspects! I defintely feel that all the PR units that we have undertaken at Curtin University has been very useful for us. Also, I agree that internal communication is very important to get tasks completed efficiently around the organization. And, just like you, I can proudly say that my writing skills have improved to a more professional manner! :)

CY