Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Commas, brochures and why can't I write?

So it seems I have a problem with sticking random commas where they shouldn't be, or leaving the poor little fellas out. Why haven't I been picked up on this before I ask? And is there some sort of comma refresher course I can go on? I hope so, or I'll look quite silly come employment time :D

I also discovered that I've forgotten how to write for a brochure. I was writing like it was a feature, all flowy and creative language...I want to go back and do Pr Techniques again. I made a pretty funny blunder actually. I was writing a brochure to 'sell' one of our aged care facilities. I described the views (a major selling point) over Albany as 'breathtaking'. My supervisor sent it back to me with the words "We want our residents to keep breathing..." Whoops.

So since all this I've decided I need to do something about my writing skills. Getting good comments for writing at Uni clearly isn't enough. I remember hearing somewhere that many employers complain about the University graduates they hire because they just aren't good writers. I wonder how much truth there is to this... I think it would be a shame to say that about a PR graduate. Writing is pretty much all we can do, apart from drinking wine at functions 'to facilitate dialogue' (ok sorry I'm just being cheeky :D)

And another thing! I keep having to FORCE myself not to use smilys at the end of emails! It's annoying, because I'm at the stage now where I feel that if I don't put one in the recipient will think I'm not a friendly person. What's with that?

Yeah, not much to write about this week, as you can probably see... hopefully I make some more mistakes next week...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joanna,

What I've found and have been told, is that different people have different writing and punctuation styles. You kind of have to feel for who your writing for wants. When I first started my placement, my first article was very formal. I was told politely that while it was good, it wasn't his style of writing but it wasn't wrong at the same time. He liked my standard of writing but as I continued on with the placement I slowly got a feel for the way he wanted me to write and the way he wanted me to write my punctuation.

I was very nervous the first time I handed in a piece I had to write but it turned out really good after lots of drafts later! Lucky my supervisor is patient!

I also know what you mean about putting a smiley face at the end of sentences in e-mails. I've had to e-mail a number of different people to do a number of tasks and since I am approaching them, I always want to feel friendly! It is hard but you get used to resisting. I did go through a stage when I craved to include a smiley face but kept thinking I'm the face of the organisation, I don't want to let them down by using a smiley face!

Goodluck with your placement.
Resist the smiley face!
Dan

brett_b said...

Hey Joanna,

In regards to your comma problem all I could probably say is just keep practising and read over you're work, perhaps it will help with the flow of you're writing.

To be honest though after reading you're post it made me look at my writing style and you are right, as P.R soon to be 'professionals' our writing needs to be up to scratch. We cannot afford to go out and work for an employer and not have great writing skills but I guess all that comes with pracise.

Well I hope you're prac is going well and you are learning alot and like Dan said,resist the smiley faces.

Good luck and have fun,

Brett b

Anonymous said...

Hi Joanna,

Your blog really made me lol (whoops we can’t use that sort of language anymore can we.)

What you wrote was so true, I also suffer from a severe case of writer’s block.

Fortunately, for most of my prac, I had a journalist on hand to check everything that I wrote before it was used. The red pen all over my work was a little depressing but I’ve re-learnt so much gramma and how to simplify things or de-fluff as we say.

Although, how I wish I had done English Literature in high school and some journalism units at uni.- Megan

brAndOn said...

Hi Joanna,

I think that the comma problem just come from experience. Just keep writing and you will soon be over that. And i understand your situation with the smiley faces. There is this one other intern in my place that has that same problem, sending e-mails with too many emoticons. Well, i guess you got to check your email right before sending it out to make it look a little more "professional".

Anyway goodluck with your report,

Brandon