Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Learning bits and pieces.

Hi All.

In my last post I mentioned I am more confident than I was when I first started. That has helped me tick a few things off of my 'to do list'

The media release I completed a few weeks ago wasn't so bad. My mentor gave me some valuable feedback.

The main things I learned:

• Number one rule- don't use cliché’s i.e ‘eat your heart out’
• Watch use of objectives and nouns
• Careful with particular words- i.e 'is' and 'are'

I also drafted emails and asked her to proof them, which I also learned a lot from. It’s important to:

• Use the correct grammar, i.e don’t slip up on things such as compliment and complement
• Include links to the sponsor website
• Provide incentives i.e 'this is a fantastic opportunity to gain exposure to your target market'

This is a promotional tool which helps events companies and the sponsor, to gain exposure and encourage other people to participate in the event.

An exciting development during my internship is my new role as Project Manager for the fashion parade which will feature during the event.

I have contacted Chadwick model agency and I am currently corresponding with the fashion manager via email to organise the models.

To recruit models, it’s important to provide an incentive to participate- I am currently working on a contra package, which is a combination of vouchers valued at $200.00.
Donations will hopefully be raised via the sponsorship proposal I composed and sent to various stores throughout Perth.

Through my internship, I’ve realised that sponsorship is a valuable component in any event. It is a mutual benefit between the host and sponsor. As hosts of the event, we can provide participants with a reward, and those donating the goods benefit from the coverage and exposure via signage and logo displays.

That leads me to the next point, regarding things I have recently learned when seeking sponsorship: approach the appropriate companies. It is important the companies you request sponsorship from are suitable for the audience and are able to provide a relevant product.

In regards to the clothes which will feature in the fashion parade, I have contacted stores in Subiaco, Fremantle and King Street.

They are local designers, which will have to opportunity to showcase their fashion designs and gain exposure a niche market.

The store in Fremantle is currently opening a second store in King Street and this provides incentive to participate in the fashion parade, as they are likely to gain access to this market.
It costs the stores no money as all costs are covered by sponsors donating the vouchers. It is a fantastic opportunity for these stores, and is a great way to network and make contacts.

Entertainment wise I emailed a Japanese drumming school in Perth who are unable to perform as they don’t have any trained staff.
The Martial Arts company quoted a figure way beyond the budget, and we are unable to hire them.
I contacted a Japanese restaurant regarding a sashimi chef; however they are too busy over the New Year, are busy opening a new store.

This goes to show how important it is to make sure you plan well in advance. It is important to back up all ideas with another plan, or different the relevant contacts to make sure you can achieve desired objectives.

My mentor also made a really important point during the week:
'Make sure you are always nice to people, it’s not what you know it’s who you know in this industry'.
I'll definitely take that on board. Like I mentioned before, providing opportunities to people and networking have long lasting benefits.

That’s all from me for now.

Take care.

Angie.

2 comments:

EmmaJane said...

Hi Angie,

I completely agree with you on what you said on sponsors. We do a lot of sponsorship where I have been doing my placement. What I noticed most was how much value was in these relationships. If you choose a suitable organisation, I thin there can be countless opportunities for both parties!

CY said...

Hello Angie,

I absolutely agree with you about double checking your work for little errors that may affect the entire project.
Always try and do your very best for every tasks that you are assigned to and you will be on you way to sucess! :)