Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Third Week. Sweat , I Leak !

I just got back from organizing my first event and phew, I feel like I need a bath.
All my previous excitement about going into event management and the thrill of organizing an event have dimmed slightly. I honestly would rather go for an event than organise one.
Especially when there is so much manual labour involved. Washing 100 dishes, moving furniture, cleaning, - ahhh , the logistics were killing me! Thank goodness my supervisor, Yvette was around most of the time and shared the workload.

The event was somewhat a success but the turnout was quite dissapointing.We expected quite a big number and many RSVP'd but didn't show up. The sponsor wasn't too happy about it as well as he forked out quite a big sum for this brunch expecting a great turnout.

One thing I noticed was the quality of speeches by the staff of BC. Many of them with years of experience behind their backs were rather nervous standing in front of others and their content unappealing to the mass. I really think my organization needs to work on their internal pr instead of focusing solely on fundraising/events/etc.

Another thing to all those who read this and are attached to any organisation. National Soup Day is a day organised by Baptistcare where your organisation has soup as a meal or as part of a meal and has a gold coin donation box to raise funds for the various services that we offer. I'll put up more details of this later on when things are finalised but it'd be awesome if your organisation could join in and support us.

It's in a way great to work for a smaller organization because you're directly involved in all the PR work though I must say its A LOT OF work.

More next week :) Hope all of you are having fun and learning lots through your placements!

2 comments:

jade_s said...

Ash - glad you event went well! Ive had some experience in events management too. I found it quite exhausting as well and a huge amount of work and responsibility - although a lot of fun at the same time! Do you know why such a disappointing turnout than what you had anticipated?

Ash said...

Hey Jade - was trying to locate your post but couldnt find it! Well I think its because we didnt give them a call a day or two before hand to remind them. It was a "brunch" and many possibly forgot or opted not to come since we didnt look or seem enthusiastic about their attendance.
I'm glad you had fun.

What was your event about? Any mishaps during your event? We had TONS!!