Monday, May 25, 2009

Last Day

Today was my last day at SIDS and Kids in an official work experience role. It went so fast!! I have learnt more than I have thought possible in the last few months.

As it is my last day, last blog, I wanted to share the basic things I have learnt from the 20 days experience. We all know them, we have been taught them so many times, but it is different when it comes to a true practical experience.

1) Be prepared to learn
One thing I have really noticed, is that you can never stop learning. And if you are prepared to do so, most people are happy to share what they know with you. This will make it so much easier to do everything.

2) PLAN
Planning is so vital to everything that we will do as PR practitioners. One thing I have noticed is that there is so much happening all the time; you are trying to do so many things, plan so many events, find so many facts, that if you don't have a clear idea of where you are headed it all becomes too much and things get dropped.

3) Talking is so important!
One piece of advice I have is talk, talk, talk! Talk to everyone in your organisation, because they can help you! Don't be afraid to talk to your boss- that is what they are there for.

4) Maintain
Maintain and update everything that you do. Especially in terms of contact lists- people move jobs or companies so often that it is so important to know who is where, so you can get your job done properly.

5) Love what you do
PR work is not glamorous- but no matter how many times you are told this, the reality is a bit different. But PR work can also be very rewarding! If you keep the bigger picture in mind, and keep reminding yourself what all the grunt work you are doing will achieve, it all becomes worth it. Even two days on a telephone doesn't seem too bad.

I am looking forward to working more, learning more, and getting better at something I have really come to enjoy.

3 comments:

Olivier said...

Hi Merinda,

For sure, your employer never complained about your way of planning your work.

The five points you raised are really important in the world of communication. During my internship, I also, concluded how these were not only important be very useful.

Your second and third point according to me are really really important. Planning, as it helps you in running your day well, delivering stuff when asked and it also project a hugely nice image of yourself.

Talking also, according to me is an issue which must never be put aside. Talking and asking any question if you are not sure about a topic are the best ways to learn.

It's nice to see that you too, have really enjoyed your placement.

Olivier,

C.T.I

kevin said...

Hi Merinda,

I think that the points that you pointed out was very true and it is very important not only in PR, but also in life. Doing something that you love and getting paid for it is a dream come true. Not many people will get this opportunity as most people will choose money over a job that they love. I am an example of that. I will rather do something that I do not really enjoy doing and get better pay, rather than doing what I love, and unable to support myself. I also totally agree with the importance of learning as well as planning. Anyway, I would like to wish you the best of luck in the future.

Anonymous said...

Hi Merinda,

I totally agree with you when you say we should keep the bigger picture in mind when doing the grunt work.

I had that in my placement with the Salvos. I got mundane tasks to do but I reminded myself that I was part of the team and that it was helping the overall effort.

I also definitely agree with point 3. I always found the staff at the Salvos to be only too willing to answer questions about PR, no matter how trivial they might have seemed.