Hello again,
My prac experience at the WA museum is slowly winding down. I have been completing my hours one day a week (Fridays) for the duration of this semester.
The Museum has a new exhibition opening at the Perth site in just a few weeks and the marketing and media departments have both been extremely busy in organising the launch event and media preview to be held the day before the opening. I have played my small part as well, but only being there one day a week makes it hard for me to have any major responsibility.
This launch event has been pre-empted as one of the 'hottest tickets in town' - (the exhibition is celebrating the life and work of Australian music icon Nick Cave and the launch event is themed to be replicating a 'seedy underground nightclub' with dj/vj, the whole she-bang) - and many industry professionals have been REQUESTING tickets!
The guest list was put together by many people and includes sponsors, ministers, education contacts, business contacts, and other VIP's. I had to put together the media list. There is so many levels of approval that everything must be put through before finalised, including the invite list.
I had to go through the final list and confirm all contact details, spelling of names, titles and addresses before helping with putting the invitations together.
RSVP's were being directed towards the marketing officer, but it was my job to begin following up with people who were yet to reply.
This is the first major event I have been involved with that requires strict monitoring of RSVPs. We even have a second list of people to give invites to once we have a better idea of numbers.
I realise that only working one day a week means I am missing out on a lot of the organising that is going on with this event, but on my days in the office my supervisor definitly appreciates an extra pair of hands! (And someone who knows fancy tricks on excel!)
I am very excited to be able to attend the launch event and the media preview on the day before the exhibition opening. I only wish I had more part in the preparation, but am loving my involvement so far.
For anyone interested, the Nick Cave Exhibition will be at the WA Museum Perth from May to July, 2009.
2 comments:
I can identify with your excitement, when working/organising an event behind the scenes, even the intricate details are of the most highest importance. I guarantee when the opening of the museum happens, you will be able to observe the impact your work has had on the outcome of the event. I know that is how it felt when I worked at Blues n Roots at my work placement ( sunset events). Goodluck!
I mean the exhibition
Post a Comment