Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Workplace Politics

One thing I have noticed after settling in is the existence of workplace politics. Don’t get me wrong; everyone is quite professional but you can often read things between the lines. There are certain ways of doing things (which some may not like) and certain hierarchies which may grind somewhat on individuals at times.

I assume these are issues prevalent in all workplaces, but thought it worth mentioning. There can be instances of personal differences spawning tension, and there have been, but I suppose some people will always coexist better than others. Having said that however, there could be a policy of ‘openness’, where differences are talked out and resolved, hopefully avoiding office tension.

Conversely, I have noticed the department head is very good about making sure the staff are informed about where they sit in relation to the department. For example, one staff member is in a temporary position and was unsure when her contract would expire and what would happen then. The head of the department made it a priority to relive her anxiety and resolve the uncertainty as soon as possible. After all, there is no excuse for poor communication in a profession centred on communication.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is an interesting point you put forth, because I guess it is something I expected to see more of but haven’t. I can see how this could be the case, especially in a big organisation where some of the departments would overlap and hence people might feel encroached on. Even in smaller organisations people will not always agree, and there would be resentment if a decision was made purely because someone was higher up in the social food chain.

Perhaps because my organisation is so small in terms of paid staff (especially when it comes to publicity and public relations) that if there were too many underlying issues everything would be in disarray; there is already a really high workload for the people in this position and if there were too many disagreements essential tasks would not get done. Do not get me wrong, there is an obvious hierarchy- everything goes through the CEO, but when the CEO does a large proportion of the PR side of things that would certainly happen anyway. I also think the communication between the three in a PR position is good, sufficient liaising takes place and order generally seems to reign.