Everything eventually comes to an end and this internship was no exception.I'l have to say parting with this experience was like going through a slow spiritual death.In the last 20 days, i have networked with different people from different nationalities and learnt to appreciate them irregardless of the differences we may be having. The thing i liked about the university i worked at was that the staff treated me like a co- worker and did not delegate me mundane tasks for me to do but rather challenged me to be and do my best.
From press kits, making media clippings, writing press releases, performing administrative duties such as faxing media invites and making calls, being briefed in house, the type of skills i had learnt is priceless and the knowledge i had gained is endless.
To sum up, through the articles and the press releases i wrote, i found out that like any other discipline, writing takes the patience equivalent to that of a sniper ready to take his shot. The more you write, the better you become. In short writing requires ideas, and ideas requires thought and when pitching the story to the media, its always best to strike in the active voice rather than passive.
I really had a best time working at the university, saying i enjoyed working would be an understatement, i'm going to miss the professional office set up as well as my co-workers. Now that i'v experienced what the corporate world is like, like a vampire that had a taste of blood,i cant wait to graduate and join the real world. I guess we meet to part and part to meet like the saying goes.
Bethel
LUCT
5 comments:
I can see that writing all of those media releases like you describe has definitely done you well as you describe your experiences in a literary manner that is enjoyable to read on my end. I hope I can benefit from the amount of writing tasks like your self, as it is such a crucial part of a practitioner’s success. And only continual practice can see those skills be finely tuned on an ongoing basis.
Congratulations and good luck!
After reading your post I feel compelled to add my two cents on the post at hand. I myself I am an aspiring young PR officer and have just gone through my internship at Department of broadcasting services. I must say I learned quite a lot based on my experience at the station, they way I now look at issues and make judgments is way different. I must say I am now articulate in the way I prepare and present my information.
After reading your post I feel compelled to add my two cents on the post at hand. I myself I am an aspiring young PR officer and have just gone through my internship at Department of broadcasting services. I must say I learned quite a lot based on my experience at the station, they way I now look at issues and make judgments is way different. I must say I am now articulate in the way I prepare and present my information.
After reading your post I feel compelled to add my two cents on the post at hand. I myself I am an aspiring young PR officer and have just gone through my internship at Department of broadcasting services. I must say I learned quite a lot based on my experience at the station, they way I now look at issues and make judgments is way different. I must say I am now articulate in the way I prepare and present my information.
It's refreshing to hear you were given the opportunity to use your knowledge gained during your PR degree and apply them in real life. Even more so, you acknowledged that writing takes a bit of practice to perfect...but is achievable when you put in the hard work.
I need to take a few pointers from you...to stop procrastinating when it comes to media releases but to just bite the bullet and go for it! All the best for your PR journey when you graduate... sounds like you are ready to take on the real world!
Post a Comment