Saturday, March 27, 2010

My first hosting, Chocolate Room and the Earth Hour!

Hi everyone!

These last three weeks have been very interesting for me internship wise. I learnt a lot of new things. The main highlight was my first hosting! There was a group coming from an Italian magazine for a photo shoot and my boss Rhena told me that I would be accompanying her that day. I was both thrilled and apprehensive. I was unsure of so many things starting with the greeting! This may sound like a simple and trivial thing but I can assure you it's not. Greeting is something very much related to culture and I had no time to ask my boss about it. So there I was, in front of 8 foreigners and could do nothing but take it all in stride, put a nice smile on and introduce myself to everyone. After the first person, it really gets easier though! Then we spent the day assisting them during the photo sessions (and trying not to gawk at the gorgeous pre-fall designer collection), chatting and hosting them for lunch. Having to deal with various people with different temperament can be daunting and it's amazing how quickly you have to adapt to be able to cope. At the end of the day, I was exhausted from all the running and the sun but it was a great experience!

Apart from this, I also had to media pitch for an up-coming event which is a prelude to the Easter festivities. It took some time since this was a different list from the Golf event. I needed to find journalists who are in the field of entertainment and arts. The event, which is a Chocolate Room, is for the coming Tuesday and I can't wait to see the outcome! I saw the beginning of the work and it promises to be fantastic (also got to taste the oh-so-good french chocolate in the pastry kitchen)! :)

Some other projects I worked on involved an "Activities around Mauritius Guide" for the General Manager, a Golf invite for a tournament coming up and the Earth Hour. I had to research on the Earth Hour for my boss and everyone brainstormed to come up with some ideas on how to spend it at the resort. The challenge here was to find some ideas that were genuine and not simply some pitiful attempts at 'greenwashing'! Among other things, we decided to switch off the lights and use candles in restaurants, beeswax or soy based ones of course! The Food and Beverages department is adding its own touch to this! And I had to work on Earth Hour tips that are to be handed to the guests - on recycled paper obviously! Has anyone organised an event/activity related to the Earth Hour? Or planned any other event related to Corporate Environmental Responsibility? If yes, how was the experience?

I should be starting on a Golf newsletter soon. This is really a whole new world and I am going to be discovering the backstage processes of Golf at the end of the week - for the purpose of my articles! And I finally understood what tee-off and handicaps mean!!! ;)

Until my next post...

Cheers

No comments: