Monday, August 30, 2010

The beginning at Tourism Western Australia

Hi everyone my name is Stacey Tweddle; I decided that my first blog would introduce how I came to start my placement at Tourism WA.

At first I wasn’t sure where I really wanted to complete my PR 393 placement. For the last three years I have worked within the mining industry at BHP Billiton and thought this was the obvious choice, as I had built contacts within the industry and gaining a placement would not be a problem. However after speaking with friends and family they suggested why not complete my placement in a totally different industry, to gain a different perspective and possibly help guide me to where I would like to see my career path head.

Through brainstorming I realised that I had a pretty keen interest in the tourism industry. I think this has developed from growing up with a family who enjoys outback adventures and camping in the wilderness.

I contacted Tourism Western Australia (TWA) about completing my placement with them. The response at first was they couldn’t promise a placement, due to currently undergoing a restructure. I understood the position they were in and didn’t put all my eggs in one basket so to speak. I was asked me to submit three written examples, and they would let me know within the week if I had been successful.

A nervous few days wait TWA responded with accepting me to complete my 20day work placement. I was so excited! My preparation before starting my first day included looking at the website and familiarising myself with past Public Relations campaigns and current campaigns.

My next blog will include details of my first week at Tourism Western Australia.

Hope everyone is enjoying their placements!!!!



Until my next blog……

Signing out.

Stacey Tweddle

No comments: