Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Event Management

Hi everyone, hope your placements are going well! Mine has been hectic but Great!

Every PR job is different and the last couple of months I have been working on all different accounts. Detail Marketing Communications are marketing and public relations for fashion and lifestyle companies like Kailis Jewellery, Zara Bryson, Silvana Coffee and Baci Chocolates, however they do also have non for profit clients, like Walk to Work Day, Youth Focus and Walk Safely to School Day. It has been really great for me to see how different each client really is and the different projects each client likes to do.

My very first day at Detail, I made a comment about how much the lecturers at uni claim PR is nothing like what you see or hear about, I know a lot of us thought PR was just like Samantha in Sex and the City. But one girl in the office begs to differ. She said, especially when she was working in Sydney, her work life is all about the parties and events, along with the hard work, and over my time at Detail, I have began to see why.

In the past three weeks I have been able to learn everything about event management. I have worked on two different media launches one for the new collection at Kailis and the other a Silvana coffee launch. Both were completely different with Kailis focusing on fashion editors and Silvana with food writers.

The Kailis media launch was in their boutique in King Street and we had beautiful flowers and models showing off the collection, while Silvana was held at Bar 399 where the barman made Espresso martinis and flaming coffee cocktails.

The hard work of organising these events, with the catering, castings, invitations, following up the RSVPs and every other little detail that goes into an event, was worth the feedback and media coverage we received from them. There is always a lot of hard work to be done, but once the event was happening it is really a great place to meet and mingle with the media and start networking. This is what I enjoyed so much about these events, they really pushed me to meet and mingle with important contacts that will be needed in the future.

Another event, which I have worked on recently, was the Kailis Princess Party. This is an exclusive event for VIP client of Kailis, who can purchase and play with the new collection, which has only just become available on 1st September. This event happened on Saturday last week and it was great to see how it all came about. I helped Claire and the marketing team at Kailis set up on the Friday and morning of the event, which included everything from packing gift bags (which were amazing), helping arrange the flowers and artwork, cleaning any mess and even getting the alcohol ready to be served. One thing I noticed with setting up for events is – if you find something that needs doing like creating chandeliers or unpacking boxes, you just need to get on with it and do it. Everyone needs to help out to make the set up successful, even if it is sweeping the floor.

The event turned out to be wonderful and a great opportunity to network and learn the little things they don’t teach you at uni. If any of these events have taught me anything it is that networking is like breathing in PR. It is a necessity to survive in this industry!!!

I have added some photos of these events for you to look at, and I hope you are having an amazing time like me! Enjoy!

Chloe J



2 comments:

Gabbym said...

These events look like great fun Chloe!
I know i would have loved to be at both.
We're i'm doing my placement we had the Mundaring Truffle Festival last month which was a lot of hard work in the lead up but turned out to be a great weekend which is always such a rewarding feeling.

Sounds like some great clients that you have there a t Detail.

雪 snow said...

It look awesome FUN!! Really envy your experience!!