I'm Cheryl, this is my first entry.
I had just finished an exhibition event with The Compassionate Friends (TCF), I guess now is a good time to share my thoughts.
I'm new to Perth, I started my internship together with my friend, Vanessa with TCF about 2 weeks after we arrive in Perth, everything is new and different. I have no idea if there is any difference with Singapore and here. Further more, the organization I worked with,
is going in a different prospect, it is kinda of depressing to know all these people dealing with loss of their loved ones together yet supporting one another, helping one another to cope with it. I feel for them, when I heard their stories, read their articles while going through the newsletters for the exhibition. In this organization, we really have to be very sensitive in our usage of words, materials we present and the ideas we come out with. This is not like the usual HYPE we usually study or talk about in classes about events. They are more serene, peaceful and blue, talking about grieving, healing and growing - their tagline.We were arrange to do and help out a few events, the first is the National Awareness Day which we are fully in charge of the Event, from planning to setting up and executing it. It gave me a chance to know what the others self-help groups have done, what does the public know about TCF, how they react upon knowing what the organisation do, this is a great exposure to me. I really thank Lynette, our supervisor for this who trust us and explained to us when we are in doubt.
After all discussion and preparation done, 8 September is an early day for me at 7am to be ready to go from the office to National Awareness Day outside the state library by the Support Groups Association WA Inc.
We reach the office to get all the stuff prepared beforehand to the event location, we start setting up as soon as we reach there and we are done by 8.30am.
We managed to talk to several people, initially both of us were lost, did not know what to do and say, but after one or two conversation, we are all warmed up and are getting better and better, where we start to explaining and asking them for thoughts and comments after it.
Although, there are sudden showers on and off throughout the event, but there is still crowds. The event went on well, at least better than what we expected. We had FUN and we enjoyed it.
I look forward for the next few events!!
Cheers,
Cheryl
2 comments:
Hey Cheryl,
Glad your event went well. I knew you guys had your reservations prior to the event.
You'll definitely learn alot and gain so much experience from this placement.
Have fun at TCF!
Hey Cheryl,
Thanks for sharing your experience about working in such a type of event.
Hope it wasn't too boring basing on the fact that there were showers every now and then!
Enjoy your other endeavors and have the best of fun.
Stella...
Post a Comment