Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The White Butterfly Effect – The Global Good Foundation GGF

FIRST BLOG POST

Hello fellow interns!

To start off, it was really hard to find a placement. Like other smart fellow PR students, I should of start my placement during the winter holidays but I was too in the mood to "RELAX", I thought I would be able to handle the stress both sides, uni work and internship work. However now thinking about it, it would have been best if I started early with my placement.
I had no idea how difficult it would be to find a placement and how long the response from the companies will take to get back to you. I have to say it was my first time being rejected by so many companies, now I can get the picture of how cruel the industry can be.

I am doing my internship at The Global Good Foundation (GGF), a non-for-profit organisation assisting all people affected by domestic violence. It has been my 9th day at GGF and the practices I have been doing are just great!

I have been in working on organising events and writing media releases for upcoming events, such as our end of October GGF Gala Ball and the School Choir Competition.
Personally I enjoy most out of PR is organising events, media launches,etc. It is the part where you can bring your creativness in to play.
(MY TO-DO LIST)

Since starting my internhsip with GGF, I realised that practices are of Public Relations are heavily focused on research and buiding good relationships with the clients and corporate partners.

Every day I come in to the office and usually start my day off researching organisation's backgrounds and profiles to get a clear understanding of what the company does and how the company pracitice their professions based on the company values and to think about more relevant ideas to approach more corporate companies and individuals seeking for support.


On my 2nd day I had to call up companies to ask if they are interested in supporting GGF by donating or partnering up with us to help the global good, in return for them we provide promotional opportunities to interested companies to promote their own business through our support on the other end.
Phoning up people has been a nightmare for me, and I bet there are a lot of people who feel the same way as me... calling up people can be ""TERRIFYING""...


It does hurt your self-esteem when they reject you straight away without even hearing the end of your sentence. However, thanks to the other Curtin interns, Joyce, Zah, Ciara and Kelly giving me the "YOU CAN DO IT" looks supporting me.

My supervisors Tennille and Tiffany also taught me some valuable techniques when it comes to speaking behalf of the organisation either through email or phone. And after learning all the tips given to me. talking to people on the phone now has become an easy task.

It has only been 9 days working for GGF and I have learnt way more than I have expected!


Hope you all are enjoying your placements
All the best guys!

Will keep you all updated.

BECKS

3 comments:

Joyce said...

Hey Bec!

Glad to know cold-calling is getting easier for you now! Practice makes perfect! And I must say, you sounded really confident over the phone at work today. Thumbs up!

Karabo Clifford Makaba said...

It sounds a very great internship, i hope you will adopt the goodness you are learning from the internship to make life better for other people too even after the internship, we are all responsible for taking care of our precious globe.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bec!
I see you're learning a lot from your placement! seeing your post makes me realise we have different things to do and that there are so much more that we can learn from. My placement's more on writing media releases and helping them with taking down notes and stuff... and going to meetings as well.. while you get to practise contacting people..But for the getting-rejected part, i think all of us would have to go through that too.. ^^ cheers!!