Friday, October 1, 2010

First Entry Friday

Hello all =)

Finally after much kerfuffle I am now able to finally get my blog on! I am currently placed at a non profit organisation called The Compassionate Friends (TCF) and I am 5 days into my 20 days required. TCF is an organisation of bereaved parents offering friendship and understanding to other bereaved parents. Staffing is all volunteer based and fortunately for me I am able to come and go as neccerssary, which is ideal for me due to the fact that I am currently juggling two jobs, uni and assignments, it sure gets all a little hetic!

I initially struggled with finding placements, even with multiple applications sent out I just got nothing. This was really quite distressing for me as in complete honesty I was not really keen to go on prac in the first place because as you might understand I do indeed favour my other major (marketing) more so and hope to get a job more in that field >.<>

My placement to be completely honest does not excite me or make me want to work in the PR industry any more than I particularly want to. Although with that being said even though it isn't super exciting nor glamorous I like the fact that I am actually utilizing what we have obtained from our studies and am now applying it into real life. The office is situated in the Lotterywest House in West Perth and my duties are pretty much within the office. My tasks consist of compiling a media contact sheet, writing of media releases, create newsletter layouts and aid in editing the newsletter contents. So far I have just edited and created new possible newsletter layouts for the next issue, which will be released in November, it is a lot more effort than I initially thought!

Well that is all from me for now, I am off to work. Hope all your placements are going great and have an fantastic weekend!

- Michelle x





1 comment:

Ian Lee said...

Well, I know the feeling of scrambling for placements! Anyway, I thought i'd just throw in my 2 cents worth. Personally, I've always preferred PR over my marketing major, but nearing the end of my course, I have to say I don't think I would have appreciated PR as much as I do without having marketing knowledge.

I do feel that the PR/marketing combo is really strong as even though I most likely won't go out for a marketing job, and i'm sure the opposite is true for you, the skill sets learned in each other major is transferable across. For example, market research modules really give more insights that PR may not cover. A counter example would be if I were to work in a bigger corporation where they put PR in a strategic level, I would have a better understanding of how marketing works.