So I have been very inconsistent with my blogging for my placement. I think the main reason for this is because I have been working at the Property Council since last year so my 20 days have been much more extended!
With my previous blog about the Awards night I forgot to post a link. This is the information about the awards that were presented on the night:
http://www.propertyoz.com.au/Article/NewsDetail.aspx?id=2831
That link is from the website which explains more about the Council and how it works, policies, etc.
One thing I find really interesting about working in the corporate world is the etiquette for things such as emails and formal letters. I think that these are the real benefits of professional placement and in some ways office etiquette and understanding how to go about day to day activities can be more important than implementing the skills we learn at university.
For example, I drafted an email the other day which was to be sent as an invitation to speak at an upcoming breakfast. I drafted this email for three different people and had to ensure that the information was specific and in formal language. I never knew that it could take so long to write a perfect email for something so simple!
Some other handy tips that I have picked up along the way –
1. Never ask someone to get back to you ‘ASAP.’ Give them a specific date (usually by close of business of a specific date) and follow up with their office if you don’t get a reply.
2. Usually the more you converse with someone the less formal emails will become. I tend to follow the format of the person that I’m talking to. For example, if they put “Yours sincerely” at the end of their email, I do the same.
3. If you need an answer to something straight away then you’re usually better off just to pick up the phone. It always seems easier to send an email but a lot of the time this isn’t as effective. Phone conversations are also better for forming relationships with the person on the other end.
4. If you don’t work every day then it’s usually good to notify people of that in your emails. Many people just expect that everyone works full time!
I hope everyone is going well with their report writing so far!
2 comments:
Hi Ellie!
Your tips are excellent! Before staring at my placement, formal emailing had been something I had only done from time to time.
The points you make are so valid. I also find that when your taking someone's email down, make sure you repeat it aloud back to them. There is nothing worse than getting back to the office and having the email bounce back because you wrote it down wrong. Or worse having to call the person back and look unprofessional. Trust me, I learnt the hard way.
Another good tip is to print off any really important emails before you send them off. It's amazing how much more you'll notice the mistakes when you've got a hard copy infront of you.
Thanks for your tips, and I hope mine help too!
Enjoy the rest of your placement.
Carolina :)
Hey!
Thanks so much for the tips! I have to say I agree with you about how what we learn at uni only gets you so far. I suppose that's why we do this unit.
Getting into the swing of an office environment I have learnt can be extremely different to getting into the swing of a timetable. We really do rely on people to get back to us, to contact us but you are right in saying pick up the phone.
I have gained more confidence in asking random questions and liaising with different people and I have learnt that everyone like the "ballsy" confident person in the office who puts the wheels in motion.
I mean what is the worst that could come of a question? Its not like you're going to die.
Good luck with the rest!
Post a Comment