Let me tell you how it all started. It has been quite a while i started the work, it is about 4 weeks, and that is a month. The first day to this place was a little bit of nervousness because i did not even know the boss and i was praying that she may be a sweet person, and guess what she is..
The first day i arrived my boss was not there as she went to Thailand for some business meetings, that was on Monday 22 November 2010 and she came back on Friday of that week, trust me i could see that she was sweet but my hear was beating so fast as she called the interns to come to her office for briefing, then she asked us a few questions but i was still shaking, but sweet of her she told us that confidence is what is needed in PR and she was just giving us some tips that can help us to adjust to the office, she directly told us that i am not going to take you as interns but rather as professionals...wow that sounded nice.
She looked at our dressing and guys this is the strict office attire i have ever came across, i thought i was looking my best at that moment but hell not.
Let me brief you shortly about our dressing...
1. No sandals, the shoes have to cover the whole feet for ladies,
2. Our dressing has to be three piece, that is bottom, shirt and a blazer on top, i was like WATT?
3. Guys do not wear without ties..OH GOD IS strict right?
I really had to adjust my wardrobe but hey it is fun now i enjoy it because it really looks so great at the end of the day.
NOW GETTING BACK TO BUSINESS.....
Here in Russ Consulting it is all good even though there will never not be hassles and restraints that will make you feel like the job is boring but at the end of the day I am able to cope with it. At first I did not want to work in Malaysia because I see the culture here to be 100 percent opposite of my culture and beliefs but my first day at work was all good that I could say that yeah may be I will adjust easily. Although there are a lot of differences on how we do things and how we conduct ourselves at the end of the day it is just a matter of acknowledging that we are all different. In our office is a mixture of quite a few races as we have the Chinese, Malays, Indians and obviously me a representative of Africa as I am from Botswana and this is what makes our office a little bit diverse especially with the clients and partners who are from other parts like Europe, Australia and even some other countries in Asia which gives the company a distinctive feel of an intercultural diverse ground.
Our first week at workk seemed to be a little bit relaxing and I did not have that much of work to do because my boss who is my supervisor Rasila Hamzah went to Thailand so she came back on Friday. In her absence she instructed one of the colleaques Shada to take care of us and see us through the office and staff and trust me they were very friendly and welcoming, I felt at home though because the next day it was as if I have been there quite a while. My first assignment at work was to find the numbers and emails. I was like how am I going to do it I hate talking with the phone because I had to request for the editor’s direct line and email address so that was the work that I had to do for a week for 30 publishing companies in Malaysia, but at the end of the week I was done and handed it to my boss as the first completed assignment on time.
On the following week i had to do a research on corporate social responsibility and sustainability reporting and also branding where I had to go through one of the biggest branding companies in the world which is the Brash Brands in Dubai and one of the leading brands in the world which has designed very prestigious brands for a lot of countries around the world.
The next assignment that I had to do was was to go through the bursa Malaysia registered companies where by I was also calling again to look for the managing director, chief financial officer, head of investor relations and the secretary’s contacts so as to confront them and make an appointment for Graham Owens from Australia who is a successful candidate on the basis of teaching both employers ad employees about sustainability reporting and corporate social responsibility so as to invite them to come for his talk that is coming on the 25 of January 2011. Trust me it was not an easy job it was really really hard and I began seeing the office as a boring place because the most thing that did hurt was that the people that I was calling were having a hard time understanding me because of the difference in the accent and tone of the language which truthfully did piss me off a lot because it was as if I was speaking in another language but at the end of the day I encouraged myself and just tried to have fun with it, but still I was not really successful in getting what I was suppose to get , that is confirming that they are coming.
Dnt wanna cause you to faint because of reading coz i started blogging late because i havent received the invitation...tomorrow then..chao
enjy your days at work..
3 comments:
Calling might have been excruciating the way you make it sounds my dear but that is how training starts about, at first things may seem out of the way and i guess by now your a professional at it, keep the good work and you will enjoy the benefits..cheers
I suppose we all have to go through the calling stage to get first hand information from clients.In my 4 weeks of internship i have learnt that one actually gets used to making these calls and it gets better with time and doesn't become as frustrating as it used to be.Your company seems to be handling big companies and therefore i envy you because this means that you are exposed to different tasks and diversity.so this will help broaden your perspective for all the time that you will be doing your placement.So have fun and we look forward to more of your posts for more insight.xoxoxo
Sugar! that sounds like a real PR personnel , the attire hmm hmm hmm , its good that you guys are getting educated ,dealing with big companies and all i guess you are loaded , xoxoxo
Post a Comment