Sunday, January 9, 2011

PR IN THE REAL WORLD

Finally i managed to make a contribution to the blog after a long struggle. Well I am doing my intern in Media Bond PR and its now my second month. The first month was hectic from the first day as we had an event. The event was Kuala Lumpur International Motor Show and it is one of the biggest events in Malaysia and Asia as a whole. The event attracted quite a number of local media and international media from countries such as Singapore, Indonesia and many others. I learnt a lot from the event, my duty as an intern was to take care of the media. One may think its an easy job but trust me its not that easy. Having to deal with rude journalist who are impatient is a nightmare. At times they would just ask difficult questions and if they don't get answers they get very angry. I learnt that you have to be very patient when dealing with the media as you need them to write on you, in this case we needed the media to publicize our event. My other duty was to take care of the press board. This is where you have to find articles of the event and post them on the board for the public. The press board always has to be update as it is the first thing that the public sees when they come to the event. Media monitoring is also some of the things i did so far. Though i hated it at first i got to like it as time went by as it encouraged me to read news thus I am updated with what is happening around me. At the moment there is not much to do as it is just the beginning of the year but hopefully something will come up.

2 comments:

"Sr_Phiri" said...

ALICIA,well firstly much credit to you my dear,I came across the line where you talked about rude journalists but said you were not angry to them in turn,I would say that is what you are supposed to do when in the work,if you try to be aggressive too it might end up causing delays in your work,just imagine if you could have been angry to them,they could have left and at the end of the day no work done.
Not only to these journalists but if you are behaving in a way that your clients like the more strong relationship bond comes,and this is the time when trust comes in.
You also talked about the media monitoring,i was supposed to monitor but unfortunately the work did not let me to do it anyway i do think you did enjoy your time in the organisation and would like to say take your attitude with you wherever you go and even after your graduation it will earn you a place in the real world of PR.

Alicia luct said...

DTR I envy that you did not go through the process of media monitoring, trust me it may sound as fun but It is very tiredeous. Having to scan through six or more newspapers a day is not a joke but at the end of the day one ca look at it as a learning experience. I used to have a problem with reading newspapers though I am a journalism student but today i cannot do a day without reading a newspaper, thanks to media monitoring.