Well, I have just finished day 4, week 2 of my internship. Im working at Sunset Events in Fremantle, which I must confess, I'm pretty stoked about. I emailed them on the off chance that they might be looking for someone, and followed up with a phone call the next day and they basically said to come on down! I am a huge fan of most of their music festivals so this was a dream opportunity. My first day was a bit nerve-wracking. I was told by Janelle (communications manager and my supervisor here) that the dress code was "casual as", so I thought I would be cautious until I knew exactly what that meant. I showed up wearing nice pants, a singlet top and ballet flats, to find most of the office in boardshorts, t-shirts, summer dresses, thongs, or in the case of most of the directors, no shoes at all. The Sunset offices are in a little shed in fremantle, with the main part of the shed holding various paraphernalia from past festivals, leftover burger rings, gigantic plastic cows, parking signs etc....and then half the shed is converted into offices. Theres an office "dog"...no, literally a dog. He is the "site manager" and spends most of his time sleeping in the sun.
As you might interpret from my descriptions, the office is a very casual, fun, exciting place to be. But thats not to say not much work goes on. Because its such a small company, there is only room for 5 full time employees, and when they get busy, contacted workers come in to help out. I report directly to Janelle, the communications manager who is in charge of ALL communications including PR, Marketing, Media, Brand Management, Artist liasions, and a lot more. Everyone else does everything and anything. My first few days included a whole heap of activities including updating and creating Facebook pages, creating and updating a master spreadsheet for media interviews fr West Coast Blues and Roots festival which is coming up. The interviews take a LOT of time and effort to organise so this is an ongoing process. I have also been engaged in organising photos of past festivals, have created an entire section for the website about their SE Eart programme, been in charge of a photographer competition being run at one of the festivals in Margaret River, and a whole bunch of other things.
What I have learned so far, is that you never know what to expect, but its best to be on the safe side until you know for sure. Ive also learned that the music industry is a LOT of hard work. Everyone here works their butts off to make things happen.
Im looking forward to the next 6 weeks of working here.
Welcome to PR Internship - YOUR opportunity to put everything you have learned over the past years at university into practice and to get a thorough insight into what public relations is like "in the real world". This Blog allows you to reflect on your experiences, share insights with other students across campuses and to possibly give advice and support to fellow students. Please also see http://http://printernship-reflections2.blogspot.com.au/ for more reflections.
No comments:
Post a Comment