Friday, March 18, 2011

The Future of Music Festival

Sorry to disappoint.. but this isn't actually about Future Music. With the passing of Future Music in Melbourne last weekend, it seemed like a relevant title that didn't sound too business-y and might entice you to read my post! 

On a more serious note, I was faced today with the proposition: What is the future of the music industry? Think about your iTunes repertoire for a second.. How many of the songs in your library were actually bought on a legitimate website or off the iTunes store? I'm not one to say that I have never used those programs myself before, but after interning in the Music Industry I have become so painfully aware of the effect that this is having on the industry itself that I have gone cold turkey on my FrostWire. 

You might think, "it's just one song", but as my supervisor put: what gives you the right to help yourself to someone else's work and deprive them of their livelihood? Why do you believe you shouldn't pay for what isn't yours?

Faced with the prospect of having any direction after my placement, I further questioned what would need to happen to the industry if 1) the physical CD faded into the distance and 2) if we moved into a fully digital world. Knowing that we are half way there already - with our iPhones, iPods and iPads (I'm a fan of Apple) what encourages someone to go out and buy an album from a record store? Renaissance lovers would argue that it's the experience of buying and being with a CD (or vinyl) that shows you love music. Given that I am not one of these people (the afore mentioned love of Apple products should prove that) I have to wonder why, as a person involved in the publicity and promotion of music, would I still be relevant if we could promote everything online?

Well there's my thought for the week, please feel free to comment on this post as it's definitely a topic that's been playing on my mind.

Happy interning,

Katey.

No comments: