Hi all,
This is my second post about my internship at Universal Music, and I have to say that I have definitely opened my eyes A LOT more since my last post!
Having been at Universal for around a month now, I feel as though I'm starting to get my bearings, but the industry is VERY fast paced, and you have to pay attention or you will miss something. Not only do the people in the office work ahead of schedule (by around three weeks) but they also have to revisit their schedules weekly to go over last minute changes. After meeting the Senior Victorian Promotions Manager at our branch meeting last week, she explained that any day of hers can range from doing out-of-office Artist Promotions with major metropolitan television, print and radio stations - (remember these interviews can be syndicated nationally...and we can't forget about all the regional stations that are also taken care of from Victoria!) to ensuring articles, images and sound bites accurately represent the artist and the label, to keeping office moral up (the latest suggestion: a tennis match to relieve stress and frustrations) and supporting everyone to get their work done on time.
My duties so far have included formulating press packs each week to be given to major buyers of our artist's music, distributing new albums to press, compiling press clippings from Victorian sources and doing anything else people ask of me. Each week we also hold branch meetings and discuss the new songs/ videos out for the week.. last week it was Brian McFadden's 'Just The Way You Are (Drunk At The Bar' (one word: wow :| ), as well as an absolutely amazing album from a UK artist called Jessie J.. which I have been listening to non-stop since I got it!
Overall, I guess what I have learnt the most about here is that the work that goes into the artist promo placements is absolutely huge. Now when I walk past a JB Hi-Fi store and see the big posters of artists and news that they are signing in-store, I realise that not only would that idea have spawned weeks, possibly months in advance, but each poster has been meticulously placed to ensure maximum exposure to the public.
What I am really realising about my internship is that this is the side of Public Relations that I really enjoy. Not only am I being given the opportunity to see the innermost workings of a music label - but I can also be around a really inspiring and creative industry (which is something that I wouldn't easily trade)
Until next time friends!
Katey
This is my second post about my internship at Universal Music, and I have to say that I have definitely opened my eyes A LOT more since my last post!
Having been at Universal for around a month now, I feel as though I'm starting to get my bearings, but the industry is VERY fast paced, and you have to pay attention or you will miss something. Not only do the people in the office work ahead of schedule (by around three weeks) but they also have to revisit their schedules weekly to go over last minute changes. After meeting the Senior Victorian Promotions Manager at our branch meeting last week, she explained that any day of hers can range from doing out-of-office Artist Promotions with major metropolitan television, print and radio stations - (remember these interviews can be syndicated nationally...and we can't forget about all the regional stations that are also taken care of from Victoria!) to ensuring articles, images and sound bites accurately represent the artist and the label, to keeping office moral up (the latest suggestion: a tennis match to relieve stress and frustrations) and supporting everyone to get their work done on time.
My duties so far have included formulating press packs each week to be given to major buyers of our artist's music, distributing new albums to press, compiling press clippings from Victorian sources and doing anything else people ask of me. Each week we also hold branch meetings and discuss the new songs/ videos out for the week.. last week it was Brian McFadden's 'Just The Way You Are (Drunk At The Bar' (one word: wow :| ), as well as an absolutely amazing album from a UK artist called Jessie J.. which I have been listening to non-stop since I got it!
Overall, I guess what I have learnt the most about here is that the work that goes into the artist promo placements is absolutely huge. Now when I walk past a JB Hi-Fi store and see the big posters of artists and news that they are signing in-store, I realise that not only would that idea have spawned weeks, possibly months in advance, but each poster has been meticulously placed to ensure maximum exposure to the public.
What I am really realising about my internship is that this is the side of Public Relations that I really enjoy. Not only am I being given the opportunity to see the innermost workings of a music label - but I can also be around a really inspiring and creative industry (which is something that I wouldn't easily trade)
Until next time friends!
Katey
4 comments:
Wow your placement sounds so good!
I agree with you about planning artist signings, people dont relise the effort in planning events, being an event manager myself.
Look forward to reading you next blog.
It's good to know that someone is enjoying my posts.. I tried to find some of yours but I haven't been able to as of yet.. any chance of linking it?
My placement has definitely opened my eyes to a side of an industry that remains so unseen for the majority of the time. It all seems so obvious now, but I don't think I ever thought that planning an event, such as an artist signing, would contribute to such a large part of a workload for so many different people from the contributing organisations (namely, the label, the store's GM, sponsors of a performance, media, the band)
I have just written a new blog so I hope you enjoy that one as well!
Katey
Yeah I have not done a blog yet, I am up to day 7 and trying to think up an interesting angle to write about. Hopefully in the next few days will let you know.
Ill go read your new blog now, I want to work for MTV one day so it is some good research.
Hi
I posted my first blog but i am not sure how to link it, blogging is new to me.
Its called 'Know your competitors'
Cheers
Post a Comment