Monday, March 21, 2011

The wonders of PR COMBINED WITH CULTURE...





I must admit that the pr industry is quite interesting and fascinating at the same time stressful; what matters mostly is that one has to know how to play their cards right and wisely especially to the media. Another thing that matters is that one has to understand your client’s background and their expectations. All this above plus creativity and innovation is what makes Salina & Associates stand out from its competitors. I must say that one of the things I enjoyed mostly doing was preparing for an event because you get exposed to a lot of things and learn quite a lot.

Just thought I should share with you guys these. There was just one event that caught my attention while I was an intern due to that it was unique, challenging and had a lot of work to be done being Nando`s 1 TABLE EVENT launch of new healthy meals. I must admit that the event was quite a challenge as the client wanted almost everything to have African elements as Nando`s originates from South Africa. That`s when I recalled what I have learned in PR 340 (International) that for an event or campaign of an international client to work there must be a thorough research and understanding on the client`s cultural background. So since our boss had little knowledge about Africa in general she involved us to help there and there. During the event I have to admit that it really felt like we were in Africa the performance, the music, the atmosphere of people sitting in one long table chatting and laughing over Nando`s flamed- grilled chicken meals. I was really astonished by the outcome because there was a lot of confusion over the understanding of African culture by my Chinese boss.

Overall I would say that the combination of International pr and culture brings about impressive results. What matters mostly is for every pr practitioner to understand the objective and background of every client so that they will be aware of their cultural background, accommodate it and be able to put it into practice well when necessary.

2 comments:

Kgalalelo said...

Well its really good because you could really put what you have learnt from school into practice...and wow the photos are great....shows that you guys really worked hard for this. Well done!! And its a good thing that you actually worked with Nando's because its an international company, so that really shows how much you learnt....BIG.

Kgomotso Masebe said...

Hey Dikeledi, that was a wonderful experience dear. Culture plays a significant role in PR more especially when you are dealing with people whom you share a different culture with. So a practitioner needs to use culture in order to foster interest, trust and belief in a product or a company. That is why it was very vital to incorporate culture in the Nando’s event so that you will be able to bring impressive results. It’s all about knowing the culture of your client and being able to incorporate their culture in your PR plans.
I had the same experience in my placement, where our client was Indian. So with that we had to take in consideration that bringing anything that was not along their culture will bring negative effects to the project. What we did is, since they were Indian during their event we make sure everything that we proposed was more into the Indian culture. All the elements used during the event for instance food, clothing, decorations and entertainment we all India. The main reason behind this was to have an event that best suit the target audience and mostly importantly to make it appealing to them. All in all it’s all about understanding the culture of your client and strategically using PR in order to bring impressive results like you said.