land and Shanghai University in China. Whilst I did still create posters, I also sent an email via the Official Communication Channel which, as you would know, arrives in your inbox within your Oasis account. The email (as pictured) concentrates on the amount of funding available to students as a key selling point. Surely no one would ignore the fact that they can potentially get $8000 in financial assistance to go overseas? Well, I got about 10 RSVPs in response to the email. I suppose that’s ten more than we would usually get but this email was sent to 7,000 students studying Commerce and/or Chinese-quite a disappointing response. My next decision was to inform CBS staff of the student exchange opportunities. I hoped that staff would spread the word or, at the very least, become more aware of the student exchange process. I wrote a blog which was posted on the CBS Intranet which is a resource readily accessible to all CBS staff members. I didn’t receive any comments or feedback but I hope that some of my colleagues did read the blog and learn a thing or two.
Another channel I’ve been using, as referred to in the Oasis email pictured, is to run information sessions specifically relating to a university that is partnered with Curtin University such as the University of Strathclyde. This gives me the chance to engage in conversation with students face-to-face. Alongside addressing student questions I usually begin with a PowerPoint presentation and I address all the typical questions that students ask. I also arrange a guest speaker, whether it be a staff member who has spent time in the destination in question or whether it be an international student who is from the actual university we are promoting. I find that the latter works best because they can give the student perspective. We had two fantastic speakers who are here on exchange from the University of Strathclyde in Scotland. They were hilarious and managed to make the whole audience laugh on numerous occasions! The result? Five students have applied to study at Strathclyde-better than the zero applicants we have had in previous years! So now I pose the question to you...Have you heard about the opportunities available to undertake student exchange? Furthermore, what do you believe are the key messages I should communicate? Is the amount of funding a key selling point, the eligibility requirements or perhaps it’s the advantages of student exchange that students want to know about? Which, for your information, are listed below!
- Gain credit towards your degree
- Receive CBS and University funding support* (up to $8,000AUD)
- Build your resume
- Develop self-awareness and a new perspective
- Understand a different culture
- Establish international networks and friends
- Explore job opportunities outside Australia
- Travel while you study
Until my next blog, all the best with your work experience everyone and please feel free to give me any advice with regards to the promotion of student exchange for CBS students. After all, my target audience is YOU!
-Sami x
Samantha Cobb Study Abroad Coordinator CBS International Curtin Business School Curtin University Tel +61 8 9266 4572 Email Sam.cobb@curtin.edu.au Web www.curtin.edu.au
1 comment:
as a cbs student who is currently on exchange, i agree that not many students know about this opportunity! i think the most convincing way to encourage people to go on exchange is to have them listen to students who have already been - this is how i found out about it and became convinced. i would really emphasise how fun exchange is - its really a holiday with a bit of uni work on the side.
Post a Comment