Monday, April 18, 2011

Hello everyone!

I'm on to my fourth week at Therapy Focus (yes a whole month has passed and I'm only now writing my very first blog!). I've decided to do more than twenty full time days with Therapy Focus in hope to learn as much as I can during this time.

Therapy Focus is a non-for-profit community organisation dedicated to helping children and young people to the age of 18, many of whom with disabilities in Perth metropolitan areas as well as regional ares of Western Australia. With the aim of providing children with support and services to their families and surrounding communities, Therapy Focus aims to help children reach their full potential.

Six weeks ago when I was deciding what organisations and companies to apply to, Therapy Focus was one of the first one's one my list. Coming from a family that has always taken social and community work seriously, I have always aimed at working for a non-for-profit organisation. Personally, I feel that the fact that I'm working for a cause gives me the motivation to wake up and get myself to office on a daily basis. To me, passion is the best motivation! On my first day, we worked out what days I would be in office and I agreed to doing two days a week since I've only got class on Tuesdays.

Things around the office have turned out pretty amazing with the staff doing their best to make us feeling comfortable within their surroundings. When I say us, I mean Megan & myself. Megan is a final year PR & FTV student from Curtin University who is also doing her placement with Therapy Focus. Definitely makes it alot easier having another person to share ideas and thoughts with! We're also lucky to have our supervisor, Tessa Leschen whos the Public Relations Assistant as well as Jade Leong, the Public Relations and Communications Director. Tessa was a former Curtin PR student who also intially did her placement with Therapy Focus and went on to being offered a full time paid position with them. It's easy having Tessa around as she has already been through the unit and has a perfect idea of what to expect from us and what we need to do for the unit.

So that's a little on just where I've been at the past month. Look out for my next post where I'll be telling you more about the few events we've had in the past few weeks. City of South Perth Fit & Fun Day, Garden Week and the wrap up to our Symphony of Sunflowers Campaign in Kings Park just last week! :)

Best Regards,
Ashwini Sivanantham

1 comment:

Anisha Gaya said...

Hello,
I personally find that the placement you chose, an NGO organisation is indeed a very good choose and that you are really enjoying internship there. and I do appreciate the " passion is your motivation" as this sentence is a true statement as without passion for something you wont reach great thing. i also find it great that you have much support with your friend and supervisor who are ans was Curtin students as they will be able to help you and together you will be able to view thing from different point of view. so for the rest of your internship, i hope you be learn and enjoy as much as possible as its a really good and enriching experience. catch you soon with your next post in the hope of getting to know about what you did as PR work there.
Regards,
Anisha Gaya