Welcome to PR Internship - YOUR opportunity to put everything you have learned over the past years at university into practice and to get a thorough insight into what public relations is like "in the real world". This Blog allows you to reflect on your experiences, share insights with other students across campuses and to possibly give advice and support to fellow students. Please also see http://http://printernship-reflections2.blogspot.com.au/ for more reflections.
Tuesday, April 12, 2011
Indigenous Affairs - Week 3 Bentley
Hi Again Everyone, This week I have been working with Woodsides Indigenous Affairs team in the Perth office. I have to say this has been my favourite experience so far! I have absolutely loved it and am now searching for roles to work in Indigenous Affairs when I finish uni. As most of you would know, Woodside sponsors the Fremantle Dockers. This means that we get our own "round" where we can organise a pre-game event and nominate a speaker to present in the 3 dinig rooms at half time. We also get a corporate box and 100 general admin seats. I was asked to work on this which is very exciting and I will be helping on a voluntary capacity when my normal workload allows. This year our pre-game event will be a scratch match between nominated boys in the Clontarf Foundation (a Woodside sponsored initiative - here is a link if you would like to know more about the foundation http://www.clontarffootball.com/). We have arranged for a Dockers Player to send the boys weekly emails encouraging nutrition and education etc. There will be a Woodside training Day the Thursday before the big game where the Clontarf players will have a tour of Fremantle Oval & Club Rooms - they will also be presented with their Guernseys by Fremantle player Stephen Hill. And this is just the beginning of it! I won't bore you with the whole plan. My first official piece of work for Indigenous Affairs was to write a communications plan for this event. This included writing a summary of our social investment strategy & Noongar strategy and how the objectives of these strategies links in with this event. It also includes running schedules, event checklist, target audience, key invitees etc. It is a very in-depth piece of work and I can see why Woodside events run so smoothly. I have definitely taken it on board and will be broadening the event plans I currently use. I also attended a lot of meetings with the Indigenous Affairs manager and was impressed by his obvious passion on every topic he talked about. I think the main reason I enjoyed Indigenous affairs over the other teams was the people in the team. They were so welcoming and encouraging and passionate that it made me feel as if I were already a part of their team. Thats all I have time for right now but I worked on so many other things in indigenous affairs and will hopefully update you on them soon. I encourage you all to take up any opportunity to gain some work experience in an Indigenous Affairs capacity, you will not regret it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment