Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Monitoring Media

Hey Everyone Well I thought I should get onto my second posting, seeing as it is half way through the semester now!!! Eekkk! To be honest, work around the office has been a little bit slower. I am still working within the health department, but occasionally helping out with other fields such as Corporate and Consumer with their research etc. But onto the important stuff... What I have learnt over the past few days: I have learnt to use a media monitoring tool known as media portal for one of the clients, Amgen. The monitoring and evaluation of media coverage is very significant to the PR industry. H&K provide their clients with a sophisticated tracking device that analyses media coverage concerning the keywords that you provide for a particular search. The monitoring I conducted for Amgen, provided a content analysis of the press coverage in present media. The portal gathers relevant information that might appeal to or mention the client in current news forums. This includes news releases that are issued in relation to the topic and any other coverage that mentions the organisation's name. Every few days, I have had to write up a brief summary about the articles and attach the articles as a pdf document. I have also been given the task of compiling a new health media list, which is a HUGE task. This list includes all relevant media contacts for selected health magazines and writers, local, state and national newspapers, local, state and national radio stations and local, state and national television programs. It will definitely take me a few months to get through. I have also been working on detailed research for new business proposals (flu vaccines and fish oil companies etc). This has involved compiling together media audits that include top headlines, key spokespeople and common topic discussions. It has also made evident that as part of a PR consultancy, it is still important to always pursue new business opportunities. Work doesn't always come to you. You must constantly be thinking of new ideas and approaches to appeal to more clients. I have also updated all the media kits for the health publications that I gathered from the publications websites. It is important to have these saved to the masterdrive so all health members can access. Well, I think that sums up my last two weeks for now! Happy interning!!!

4 comments:

Kellie Donnelly said...

I too have been engaged in the task of media monitoring at my placement. Although from the sounds of it, it's slightly different over here. At Sunset Events, we do media monitoring for each event, and we do separate online, and physical media, producing books at the end of each event to send out to stakeholders showing what a success its been. For online media monitoring, there is an external company employed to help, but most of the physical stuff is done by us. I spent several hours scouring music magazines, newspapers, and industry publications, then had to cut, record, scan, save, paste and label everything I found. Overall, it was super time consuming, but helped me understand the importance of media monitoring. Especially for an events company who needs to show something tangible to investors and stakeholders at the end of it.

AnnaBurchy said...

I couldn't agree more with the importance of media monitoring! I've been doing some of that in my placement with Julie Bishop, MP. I had to re watch 'Q and A' the other day and take notes for Julie and transcribe what she said - you've got to have fast fingers to transcribe, let me tell you!

Health Dept. was my 2nd choice, how are you enjoying it???

Susan Bonang Tsomele said...

Media monitoring...media monitoring...media monitoring...

I didn't know about the media portal but it sounds way much better than what i used during my internship. well i used a pair of scissors to cut out the newspapers, recording from the radio, and print out from online. the second week i was on my own, because my supervisor wanted to see what i can do or cannot do right but on the third week each team member was given certain media outlet to focus on and still I had to monitor print media. It was not all about keeping the media information in a safe box, but analysing it as well.

Siobhan K said...

Woodside also uses a tool for Media Monitoring but I during my time with Corporate Comm's in Karratha I was tasked with doing it manually for 2 local (Shire of Roebourne) newspapers. So I sat with my scissors and recycled paper and glue for 2 afternoons. I had to find anything that mentioned not only Woodside but also the North West Shelf Project (NWSV) - (a joint venture operated by Woodside with participants: BHP Billiton, BP Developments, Chevron Australia, Japan Australia LNG and Shell Development). The 2 papers I scoured through were the Pilbara Echo and Pilbara News. This sounded like an easy task until I realised that I actually had to scour every single article because Woodside and NWSV are mentioned in articles that you would not expect them to be. I was amazed at how many articles I ended up pulling out of these papers.