Hello everybody once again,in this post will be talking about the difference between Public Relations and Advertising,these are two different concepts but they can work or be used together in one and same company,Advertising mostly can depend on PR in order for it to work but not all the time.
Public Relations will always be focusing on the whole company while Advertising will always focus on a single product but not the whole company,O'Mara (2011),said that Advertising changes the public opinion about certain product or service while Public relations change the public opinion about the whole company,the author also mentioned that if a company suffers from bad reporting then Public Relations is needed before advertising can be used to have desired impact on sales again.This shows that Public Relations will always try to build the image of the company while Advertising will sell the product or services offered in the company.
so now here comes my work during the second week,i was assigned to write a column about Tshimologo Business Service in the Vanity Magazine,one of Botswana's largest circulating print media,so in the column I talked about the foundation of the consultancy and it's clients,services it offers and also wrote a little about ways of retaining happy clients in the company.
People was the column more PR or advertising? remember that PR includes all means which present your company to the public in order to create your brand.
3 comments:
Before I answer your question, I felt that somehow there was slight mistake from your comment. Based on your comment, you said “advertising always focus on a single product but not the whole company” which is not true. Advertising does focus on the whole company through a promotional strategy known as corporate advertising. According to Dolphin (2004, 14) stresses that corporate advertising is meant for the company itself including its product and services. He goes on to mention that the main intension of corporate advertising is to cultivate positive reputation among customers. For more information, you can read from www.wisegreek.com/what-si-corporate-advertising.html.
Now answering your question, personally I feel that your column had both advertising and Public relations elements. The reason as to why I am saying so is because advertising can serve as a description or a presentation of your organisation so as to induce the public to support it. On the other hand it has PR as the column creates awareness about your company. Therefore with these it’s difficult to distinguish whether it had more of PR or advertising. Nevertheless, I feel that the part from your column that can tell or answer your question would be the last part where you talk about ways that you use to retain happy clients whether you talked about it from a pr approach or from a promotional approach.
Hope this helps...
I have to agree with blogger "dikeledi". I'm completing a double major in Public Relations and Advertising and I find a lot of the assignments I complete within my advertising major also relates a lot too my work in my PR major, often complementing each other.
Advertising can certainly focus on the whole company and not just the service or product it provides. Without having read you article I also believe it is a bit of both. With what you've said the article discusses the services of organisation which could be viewed as advertising but also could be seen as pr in building the image of the organisation. Maybe you can post your article if not a bit of it so readers can gain more of an understanding and insight, and better answer your question.
Good luck with the rest of your internship!
Hi blogger “Sr_Phiri”,
I actually kind of agree with "dikeledi" and "Jacqui" after all because adverts are classified as a form of controlled media. Du Plessis (2002, 49) refers to controlled media as communication over which the public relations practitioner has control in terms of timing of the message, frequency, content, format and placement. You see corporate adverts are at the same time ‘selling’ the company’s image and creating awareness on the company.
I personally struggled with the difference between advertising and PR as I had my PR 393 placement in an advertising agency and at first could not differentiate both.
Good Luck with your internship!
Post a Comment