Monday, May 16, 2011

Back Again

Hi Everyone,


I hope everyone’s internships and reports are going well!


I finished my internship in the Office of Development and Community at Methodist Ladies’ College about a month ago now. It was such a great experience. I was involved in quite a few small and large scale events and I spent a lot of time liaising with members of the MLC community for many different reasons.


About half way through my internship one of the girls in the office left the team for a different job. She was in charge of community relations at the College and even though I thought I had no chance of getting her job as it was extremely elaborate, the Director of Community and Development at MLC urged me to apply. I did on a whim, thinking with only a month of public relations experience under my belt that they would surely choose someone with more professional experience. Thankfully they didn’t. They called me a few weeks later to notify me that they had restructured the position into two part time liaisons that would each be the contact for a different set of support groups within the College and would coordinate their separate functions and projects.


I was offered the position of Alumni Relations Liaison and am responsible for the Collegians’ Association and the Per Ardua Association which is made up of girls who had attended the College some time ago and still keep in contact. I am also responsible for the organisation of reunions and other collegian affairs. The position is only two days a week as I am still in the process of finishing off my degree and another Community Relations Liaison works the other three days and is responsible for the parent support groups.


I just completed my first day today and though it was incredibly overwhelming, I’m very excited for what the future at MLC has in store for me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tamara

I just wanted to say congratulations on your new job! It's so great to see fellow PR students not only feeling such a sense of achievement through their work experience but to hear about organisations realising the value in Curtin students.

Before starting this unit I enquired at a few different organisations to try and secure work experience and found it really interesting how quite a few places are not willing to take the chance or spend the time training up a student and familiarising them with the work place.

Near-graduates, in my opinion, are some of the most vibrant and eager people who can also bring fresh and innovative ideas to the table, so it's wonderful to see an organisation like MLC embracing this!

All the best,

Charlotte

cbdhempsource said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

A wonderful opportunity Tamara - one of my early career jobs was at Scotch College and I had such a wonderful time and experience there. I'm sure you'll learn a lot and have a great time.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.