Wednesday, May 18, 2011

beyond technology(pre- tech methods applied in PR)

The shift in communication approaches in the public relations field has been massive as we’ve seen e-mail and social media replacing phone calls and face to face meetings .but personally I don’t think the message brought through these new tech tools is deep/effective as the old way of using letters. It’s rare to get useful things in the mail nowadays, so chances are the client already expects disappointment before opening the mail. Letters are more formal and sincere to communicate between two parties and it shows a sense of maturity/professionalism. I learnt this during my internship as I had to write letters to invite media to cover our events and they responded very well compared to receiving a call which will seem very rude/annoying. I had the honor to look up media addresses to invite them to the wellness day organized by princess marina hospital in collaboration with the Gaborone city council. The event was one of the initiatives from the hospital of health education in the less fortunate residence known as “old naledi”

3 comments:

Kearoma Komane LUCT said...

Hi,Mr Mmolotsi. I do not think that messages brought through with email and social media are ineffective as you put it. Social media is a very good tool to use in PR,PR is all about communication and dealing with people (key publics), social media enables practitioners to know what the consumers need.It introduces a new kind of 2 way communication, the practitioner and consumer deal directly with each other and each get feedback straight from the horse's mouth which leaves no room for distortion of information. I think that if you send a client an email, you should make sure that its something they SHOULD know,nothing unnecessary and you should probably call to inform them that you sent an email and they need to check it out. the email and social media makes communication faster and most definitely effective.

Alicia luct said...

I will disagree with you Mr Mmolotsi. Social media is more efective nowadays. No one has time to read letters but for sure everyone checks their mail everyday especially business people. And a letter will take a day or two to arrive, even if you use fax you are not sure if the letter has reached the intended person but with emails you can never go wrong. With emails you just send and call the person to confirm if they got the email.

max mmolotsi said...

RC--> I think I might be misunderstood here. What I mean was how clients value sincere/genuine/professional procedure over going over to a complex media tool, looking at the example of where I did my internship. Government departments involve procedure (more official things) which makes clients feel appreciated by the form of proposals from the department rather than just getting the invite from twitter and facebook. TQ for your views