Hello,
I think we all know about Murphy’s law: “Anything that can go wrong will go wrong”. Therefore, in Public Relations, it is important to have a secondary plan in case something goes wrong. From my tutorial sessions, I learnt that it is vital to look for an alternative in case a problem crops up...
During my internship, I got some problems in terms of printing. The company I am working for was participating in a Job Fair and brochures had to be printed and distributed to potential employees and for explanation purposes. However, on the eve, the brochures were not yet delivered. Hence, I had a back-up plan to remedy the situation. I managed to print some copies of the brochures at C.T.I in the morning on the day of the Job Fair and distribute them to the relevant publics some hours later.
The day after, the other brochures were delivered and ironically, there were so many people present that there was nothing remaining in the end. As a result, I think that preparation is very important in Public Relations; a PR officer should expect the unexpected. Be proactive instead of reactive, this is the principle which I have applied during my internship.
I end up saying this was a bit of my experience, hope that helps :)
Cheers,
Danitza
5 comments:
I completely agree with this post! The world of PR is always changing and anything and everything can happen. I guess this is why organisations and companies do not only want PR practitioners who are book-smart, but street-smart as well.
Great to hear you had a backup plan. Very professional. It’s very important for anyone working in PR to be able to think on their feet and I think we can say you did just that. I hope you take a lot away from that situation. It is important to be a problem solver in the PR industry. Good work.
Hi Danitza,
I think your title is actually what we learn form this unit!
If something goes wrong at university, we can ask for extension or take the penalty. However in the real society, we are representing our company/organization. We have no excuse at any time.
Back to my placement [cbsplus @ Curtin Business School], we launched a BBQ event, but the problems keep coming up. Eventually at the BBQ day, when we picked up our food from guild, they forgot our order!
I totally understand what you feel. “Anything that can go wrong will go wrong”. Backup plan is really important!!!
Thanks for sharing. Good Luck
Regards,
Yik Ming Wong
Completely true! You blogged something that sound common for almost all of us. There are times whereby things turn up the way you didn't expect them to but what ought to do is having a very quick second option to rescue you.
You know serving a client is not such an easy thing to joke around with because firstly, your consultancy signed an agreement that they will serve the client according to its expectations, so every mistake done, the consultancy is responsible and moving that to the office level, you will suffer the consequence. This is a very lesson that I have learnt with all my heart. So as PR practitioners, we have to be professional all the time because we are dealing with reputation of our clients, you know a very small thing can tarnish the reputation that you have built many years back.
Hi Danitza, what you are saying true. I had to learn this the hard way, when I went into the real world of public relations I didn't expect the that it takes a quit a while for bosses to warm up to you and your abilities to do what you went to college to learn especially if you an intern. What I did was to move with the flow and do what I was told to and more.
Post a Comment