Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Perth: Our PR Paradise!

Perth is dullsville, Perth is boring, Perth has no opportunities, Perth is a sleeping city…yeh yeh, We have heard it all before!

I’ve always been a supporter of Perth, despite what a majority say of Perth not having much to offer in comparison to Melbourne, I have always thought our small, quaint city was a key aspect to the Perth beauty.

Recently, Precedent CEO visited Perth from London to meet up with several major potential clients and observed plans for our new office move (Which is very exciting!!) As Precedent is looking for designers, Paul often spoke of the lack in developed designers in Perth who use design to creatively problem solves. According to Paul, In comparison with many London designers he found their to be a significant difference between the standards. I found this very interesting and to tell you the truth, I felt myself slipping into viewing Perth as the backward, slow paced city that so many are quick to point out.

It was until I attended Perth’s Think Tank Digital Seminar, which focused on the future of digital media and the successful commercial development of creative digital media concepts. Above all the speakers, to me it was Tina Wilson’s talk which resonated highly with me. Her talk highlighted some of the opportunities available in Perth and the benefits of remaining in Perth in the long term. Tina spoke of the advantages of living in the worlds most isolated city, and opened my eyes to realise that Perth is an undiscovered market. I have noticed, particularly in the Media that it’s a small culture, never did I see this as a fantastic opportunity. Tina’s talk made me realise that as an upcoming PR professional in Perth, I have it easy! If I network and make myself known I have a better chance of meeting significant influences than those graduates in Sydney or Melbourne!

Linking this back to Precedent it made me realise the potential that Perth has. If the company is relatively unknown: this can be changed with a strategic plan to make ourselves known to the media and attend, sponsor or speak at Digital conferences. So that’s what I began on, researching Media publications, websites contacts and upcoming events, to start building our credibility amongst this city.

As for the lack of Designers who fit Precedents culture? What a perfect opportunity to homegrow our very own Perth designers! Paul was interested in a concept of a design competition to encourage students to see design the way Precedent does, and in turn, raise the quality of designers in Perth. This concept will take much planning and communication to initiate, so will become one of my projects once I start working full-time.

So next time you go to mouth off about Perth being drab and small with no opportunities, change your perspective. Perth is a small city, but lets use this to our advantage, we can develop and grow this city in the PR industry, it’s our playing field!

No comments: